Virgin Gorda

Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
Marie

Virgin Gorda

Does anyone have any comments on the island of Virgin Gorda?

Plus, how much is the ferry between Tortola and Virgin Gorda?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Theresa

I stayed in St. John and we rented boats on two different days and went to the baths and anchored out to snorkel, etc. I loved it but didn't get to visit the island much.

Theresa

Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Carolyn

I stayed At Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda, the ferry ride (transfer) is included in the price. The island is BEAUTIFUL! I highly recommend Biras Creek, excellent food (unbelieveable)wonderful service and great accommodations, beautiful beach and water sports. There are also trips to the Baths and sunset sails. You get your own Boston Whaler to use to go exploring and snorkeling - lots of fun! The grounds are lush and tropical, the manager and his wife are warm and friendly and greet you at the dock upon arrival. Low key elegance is the best way to describe it. www.biras.com

Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:08 AM
Gennie

We had a wonderful time at the Bitter End on Virgin Gorda. The hotel provided ferry service so I'm not sure $$$.
Friendly staff, friendly co-travellers, pretty accomodations. We went off season, so not much in terms of entertainment (we heard it gets pretty hopping during some of the regattas).
Island is small and safe. As one of the hotel staff we befriended told us, if someone does something wrong (commits a crime), the odds are that his mom would hear about it before the end of the day-and there'd be trouble. We liked the vibe of the islands. Belongers are warm and welcoming. Would return anywhere in the BVIs in a heartbeat!!

Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Rich

We just returned yesterday from 11 days in BVI - 8 on Virgin Gorda. We stayed at a private villa overlooking Savannah & Mahoe Bays - absolutely beautiful beaches and scenery. We didn't do much sightseeing - snorkeled the reefs near our place, as well as the Baths, which makes for a nice day trip. Gorda Peak has a hiking trail, probably for moderate to experienced (and fit) hikers. Generally very friendly people, and a wonderful place to visit, as long as you don't crave the nightlife. It is definitely a destination for unwinding and relaxing and romantic getaways (we got married at the villa). We also liked VG much more than Tortola as a place to stay.

We had dinner at Biras Creek, which we thought was ok but not great (off night? 'cause a lot of people like it). In comparison, we had stayed at Peters Island to start the trip, and the food and service were outstanding, so we were disappointed with Biras Creek ($250 for dinner should never result in disappointment!). Bitter End gets rave reviews, maybe more informal & 'happening' than Little Dix Bay (more formal and maybe 'stuffy', but a five star resort), Biras Creek somewhere in the middle??

From Road Town Tortola to Spanish Town Virgin Gorda, a ferry ride costs $15 1-way and $25 roundtrip. Ferries also run from North Sound, Tortola to Bitter End and Spanish Town, for about the same cost. Taxis are easily hailed or called to pick you up; $5-15/person to most anywwhere on the island, depending on how far you go and I think how late in the evening, and maybe also depending upon how much money the cabbie thinks you have (ha!)

Hope this helps....

Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
anonymous

I took the trip from Road Town, Tortola to Spanish Town in Virgin Gorda last week via ferry. My price included round trip ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda, transfer to and from Spanish Town to the Baths in Virgin Gorda for $29/person or $35/person including lunch. This was being offered by a ferry company at the ferry dock in Road Town. I think it was Speedys Ferry Service.

Had a great time at the Baths. There are also boat charters that provide sailing service from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. Check with you hotel. Another couple did this for $120/person, but I don't remember if it included lunch. I think it did.