Search

Virgin Gorda vs. Tortola

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Gorda vs. Tortola

Our family of four is leaning toward a vacation on VG this August. Daughters are 13 and 22.
We are looking for beautiful beaches, great snorkelling and diving and visits to some of the other BVI.

Would VG be a better choice than Tortola? Is it relatively easy to get to other BVI from VG?

We would probably take ferry over from St Thomas, then rent a villa. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. (Restaurants, Villas, snorkelling locations)

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM

Hi ljv,

I just posted a trip report on VG. I found Tortola a little too busy and crowded to fit with my impression of what a caribbean island should be but that comes from a visit to Road Town, not the outlying areas. Tortola definitely has better restaurants. The Dove restaurant is simply awesome.

I believe you can get to Tortola, Beef Island, St. Thomas and Anegada directly from Virgin Gorda. To get to places like Jost Van Dyke or Peter Island or Norman Island I think you need to go through Tortola.

I haven't snorkelled on Tortola but have seen a number of the beaches either from a boat or a plane and they are as beautiful as Virgin Gorda.

I don't think you can go wrong with either place. Have fun!
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM

Our family rented a villa on Tortola and greatly enjoyed our time there. Plenty of restaurants and beaches to choose from, though we frequented Smuggler's Cove (closest to our villa) most often.

We rented a villa called Casa Luna. It was fantastic. We usually rent villas on our Caribbean trips and this villa ranks at the top of the list. It was secluded enough to allow for privacy, but within driving distance of a number of good restaurants. The rooms were nicely decorated and the pool and the view from it were wonderful.

http://tortola.villascaribe.com/vill...a-luna-tortola

We spent one day out on the water with Patouche Charters. The full-day cruise took us to VG for snorkeling at the Baths and a few other spots. The crew was fantastic.

http://www.patouche.com/index.html
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 06:35 AM

If you want to visit other islands, Tortola would be better for the ferry schedules. VG is much much quieter than Tortola. Not as much activities. Although they both have their beauty, I prefer VG.

Peace, Greenie
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Virgin Gorda is more serene and laid back.VG has ferry services to other islands , so traveling will not be an issue.

we stayed here on our last visit https://www.drakesviewbvi.com it is part of a resort and is private as well as have resort amenities.
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:11 AM

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...i/virgin-gorda

Gorda more serene the Baths are awesome

Totola/Roadtown flatter hotter not as pretty for me.

Maho.org Westin Resort from $80/nt for me betterbidding.com

St John more stuff for kids not as remote easier to get to.

Happy Hunting!
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Stayed at both places. I love the off the beaten path vibe on VG...very quaint. One of my favorite islands. Tortola has amazing views but does not have the same feel as VG. In my opinion, the beaches on VG are superior to those on Tortola.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:45 AM

For relaxation and beaches I would go with VG. The best snorkeling, in my opinion, is nearer to Tortola at Norman Island and the Indians and day outings are offered. Around VG the snorkeling is almost as good but only at Monkey Point and the Dogs. If you go to VG contact DoubleD charters and ask for Dave the owner. He will take groups of 8-12 to those places. If you avoid the weekend you will have less people on his boats.
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM

I've enjoyed stays on both islands, but of the two I would return to Virgin Gorda for my own preferences of it being smaller and quieter, with better beaches and snorkeling. The food scene is less sophisticated on VG than Tortola but you'll never go hungry!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Perfect timing for me to find this post! I am trying to decide between a community service project in Virgin Gorda or Tortola this summer. VISIONS Service Adventures offers one in each place - one for middle school students and one for high school students. Since I am 14, I could go on either.