Peter Island accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about booking Peter Island for our honeymoon--it looks fabulous. We had been looking for a resort where we could have our own cottage because we hate being able to hear other people moving around their rooms. The villas at PIR are way out of our price range and it looks like the rest of the rooms are attached. Can anyone comment on the privacy of the rooms? Also, which room did you stay in?
Searching PIR on this forum, I found a post from about a year ago commenting that the service was less than supurb. Has anyone been there recently and found that to be the case?
Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I spent a week at PI earlier this year and found the service to be fine. We stayed in the oceanview rooms and found the rooms to be fine too. Not terribly luxurious, but then again, we didn't spend a ton of time in the room. I thought the privacy of the rooms was fine too. The only way at PI you would get truly private accomodations would be staying in a villa as you mentioned. Even the beachfront suites are attached to other rooms.

We found the food to be pretty good at PI too. We typically do not go to AI resorts and were a bit worried about having limited dining options, but we found the menus were varied enough that we did not feel like we were eating the same thing every night.

The one thing I would caution you about is that the oceanview rooms are about a 5 minute walk from the beach over a hill. That may not sound like much, but it can get to be a bit of a pain after awhile.

If the new spa is open that would be a really nice addition to the resort, too.

In all, we enjoyed our stay at PI.

I don't know what your price range is, but one other option you could consider is Cottage 7 at Caneel Bay. The rooms are attached to a few other rooms, but we found it to be very private and it is basically right on the beach. St. John has better snorkeling and diving than PI (snorkel right off the beach and see coral, rays and turtles). St. John also has more dining options than PI, although if you are going to dine at the resort, I would say PI has better food at the resort than Caneel Bay.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM

We are interested in PI as well, so I found your post interesting.

I have however been to Biras Creek (also BVI) twice and we absolutely loved it. The cottages are VERY private, there are 2 couples per cottage ( you never ever see your neighbors either) and all the cottages line the beach. It is not a swimming beach, however, which does not bother us in the least. You have bikes to get around the property, and the swimming beach is a beauitful 5 min bike ride away. They also give you Boston Whalers and a map to explore...don't worry you cannot go past certain borders and the waters are very calm...they are dotted with deserted island beaches perfect for a snorkel and gourmet lunch, which they will pack for your excursion, all included. The bikes are yours thruoghout your stay, and become like your "car"..they do have golf carts if needed. The food is excellent and one of the best wine lists in the caribbean. In one of the travel mags it was rated higher than Little Dix Bay (which I did not like as much). Well I have rambled on but you can take a look at www.biras.com

It is also an AI like PI, so the prices include except drinks. You can also do a search here about biras creek.

P.S. Don't let the negative posts regarding the bikes to the beach and the cottages not being on a swim beach fool you. The view from the cottages is breathtaking, espically at sunrise. Biras has continued to be our favorite and most romantic caribbean vacation.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM

hi, my husband and i spent the first week of our honeymoon on peter island.
we were really impressed and we have both traveled extensively on business and for leisure...so, what i am saying is yes, its nice and no through the wall noise...even if you cannot afford to stay in the villas or beachfront rooms which yes are attached(though seemed bigger) which we did not since we were only there 6 nights and you needed to spend 7 to get a beachfront room.
all the rooms are really really nice with every amenity. they give you shampoo and a huge bar of soap not that that was like the "selling" point for me but i hate using those teeny little bars that break up after one wash. there is a blow dryer, a cd player and they give you a island type cd and flip flops just neat stuff that you would expect when paying at 600/nt! right?
we could not hear anyone around us except when we were on our balcony you could hear other people on theirs if they were talking loudly.
if you really really want your own cottage our second choice for our hmoon was petit st. vincent in the grenadines...it was just too many planes etc.. we live outside philly and it seemed like we couldnt make connections to get there. peter isl. was not bad. non stop to pr then small plane to tortola where the island picks you up by boat and takes you to the island.
by the way, the food was not typical all inc. food. you ordered from a real menu that changed every so many days. we are in our early 30's and like simple yet chic and that is what we felt we got from the island. booze is expensive like any other island but we were i think teetering on alcoholism that first week of our honeymoon so we walked away with a big big bar tab.
by the way we did rent the silmaril for a day and sailed with the nice couple that owns it. worth it if you like to snorkel because they will take you wherever time and weather will allow.
let me know if you have more ??? its so tough to make a decision about such an important week or two you dont want to screw it up...
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Liasun71,
I read some comments about OCV room bathroom is sort of like a motel Bathroom. What was your impression about the OCV bathroom? Can you please describe the OCV room conditions? I'm guessing that for Lunch and Dinner, there is always seafood dish such as Shrimp or Fish on the menu? Please confirm. Thank you.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:23 PM

uh yeah, the bath is nothing sexy. its a bathroom but it is big and clean. i would have to say a step up from a motel ( i mean i do remember being a little "Eh" about the bath) but definately much better than a motel its not the four seasons...i grew up in jersey though so who knows...seriously though i am a CLEAN FREAK so take that as you may the bath is fine... but you know what, i stayed in the ocean view not ocean front which were you asking about? i think the ocean front were nicer...like, there was not a spa tub in ours which would have been nice but you know what? how much time can you spend in a bathroom-hopefully not too much... there is so much great food you will want to be eating and drinking and walking around and enjoying.
for lunch we did the picnic lunch 3 times where you order what you want (and its always awesome) and then they bring it to you in this cooler thing in like a japanese type sushi box with a table cloths, glasses etc. but to answer your question yes there always was a fish on the menu for lunch or dinner. and lunch you could also go for the buffet down at the beach which was nice but in my opinion not as nice as the delivered lunch in the cute cooler with the tablecloth! but i am a chick what can i say.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 03:07 PM

Liasun71,
Thank you so much. How do you arrange the Picnic lunch? Yes,I was asking about the Ocean view room which you stayed there. Anything else you would like to share would be great. Since the resort is big, how do you get around? Do you just walk around or do you need a shuttle to get around? Which building and room upstair or downstair would you recommend for us to stay in?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:40 PM

actually, the island is big but the resort is pretty compact. they have a decent gym (small but functional) which was nice it was right on the beach too. since we were there i think they put in a spa which i am sure is awesome so you have that to look forward too.
also, you can "book" a beach called honeymoon beach it is an area of the island you can only get to via kayak...easy kayak out to it. you let the concierge know when and what time (afternoon or am) that you would like to reserve the beach. they cannot promise you that no one else will go to it because now that i think about it i believe you can hike over a mountain to it as well but basically there are only two beach chairs and they try to keep just two people on it at a time. just make sure you take teva's or some type of sandal if you want to explore it is very shelly over there. but if you do explore you can find some cool shells like large real shells you would find at a shell shop in ocean city or something. as far as getting the picnic lunch you have to bring a request to the front desk or concierge by 8 pm the previous evening in order for them to accomodate you and then, they will deliver the lunch to you wherever you are- ie. honeymoon beach, another remote beach on the island (cant remember the name of it).
then, to get around like if you are in the ocean view rooms its nice you are by the pool, the main dining room and the front desk -anyway, you can walk to the beach from there its definately not far or you can hop on a golf cart of sorts for which the stop is almost right outside your door. keep this in mind, we ate every evening at the main dining room except one eve. and we felt that the meals were more upscale as is the interior of the dining room; you reserve where you want to have dinner and at what time the day before as well. we did eat at the other dining area which is pretty because it is right on the beach with tiki torches and stuff but we noticed the meals were not as gourmet.
we had a second level room. from what we were told we could not request upper or lower level. because sometimes they are booked and the place only has like 25 or something rooms they just fill you in wherever. i was happy we had second floor but it really does not matter. if you can request it i would go second floor and ask to be closer to the inlet than the lobby area, if you are at the inlet you can see the other surrounding islands like st. john, v. gorda and tortola from your deck if you are on the 2nd floor and i am sure that is a really nice view. either way, all the rooms are really great. also, i remember, honeymoon beach filling up quickly, so book it if you want to go there as soon as you get there. they have snorkeling equipment and you can keep it for the entire time you are there which is nice so you dont have to return it back and forth everyday. the only things we really did while were there was go and take the sunset ride up on top of this mountain which was cool and you can get a cheese platter and wine or soda (whatever you drink) brought up for you to enjoy while you are up there watching the sunset as well. and then like i said previously we rented the silmaril for a day which was cool. i had never been on a sailboat on the ocean before...
see, ask me a quick question i will give too much detail...sorry...
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:13 PM

Lisun71,
I'm greatful for your advise. Thank you so much again. On the web, the resort/island seem so beautiful. Can you tell me about the beach and the beach water clarity? Was there hammack on the beach? On the web, there are so many palm trees or coconut trees righ on the beach. Is the beach really that way? How long is the main beach? What time from & to, do they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner? I guess they know where to find you when you reserved a picnic lunch? Do you have to tell them where you will be ahead of time? How do they know where to find you? Any memorable dish from breakfast, lunch and dinner that you would recommend?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM

hmmmm. well, the beach water clarity was good it was not like crystal crystal clear but you could see down to your feet if you were in up to your waist and maybe even deeper. we went to several of the beaches you can go to the main beach (where you saw all of the palm trees) is very nice and obviously clean and yes there is a hammock as a matter of fact there may be several if my memory serves correct. i should ask my husband...also the main beach is not huge but long enough to take a stroll yet short enough to leave your pina and it not be warm when you return.
um, bkfst i think was like 6:30-10:30 i am guestimating though and i cannot remember anything that really really stood out in my mind but my husband got the rack of lamb i think 3 times. now keep in mind you can make yourself crazy with getting tons and tons of details on diff. resorts. there is good and bad about everyplace. i cant think of anything even worth mentioning that was bad or poor quality. i am not positive about dinner but i think the last seating was 9:30 and the bar stays open as long as you do...
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Annabel-- if you're still there: I'm very interested in Biras Creek for our next Caribbean vacation, but I've got one big concern. My husband and I are light sleepers, so we like pretty much silence if we can get it. My sense is that one hears the ocean from those cottages at Biras, and while I know that many people absolutely love hearing that sound at night, we do not (love it during the day). Can you comment, please? Thanks.