Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Virgin Gorda - Biras Creek, Little Dix Bay and Bitter End - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Jen

I'm on this never ending search for a honeymoon destination for July 2003. I've been reading about Virgin Gorda and it really seems to be appealing and a good place for my fiance and I. I really like the looks of the three resorts mentioned above and each for different reasons but I just don't know which place is best for us. We are a younger couple (25 and 28) and we like the idea of doing a meal plan at one of them. I'm also curious about the meal plans and what they include. My fiance isn't in to really fancy food either so that concerns me about some of the higher end places. While I might be in heaven he's a big guy (6'6&quot who likes his meat and potatoes (and a lot of it) and of course I want him to be happy on this honeymoon too. We definitley are looking for a place with some activities but at the same time I want at least some luxury and pampering.<BR><BR>I'd love anyones input - especially about the food and activities at the various resorts. <BR><BR>Jen<BR><BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:25 PM
David

My wife and I spent a week at the Bitter End with my sister-in-law and her family. As you know, it's an expensive all-inclusive (not alcohol) resort and it's first class. When we were there, Bill Gates had a rented yacht in the harbour. All of the meals were very good. If you are into water sports, you will definitely have a great time. We went on a few snorkeling trips. The smaller sailboats ( Lasers, sunfish, and Hobie Waves) and windsurfing boards, as well as Boston Whalers, are included. We'd take a Boston Whaler over to one of the other islands and have a happy hour drink, or take it out and anchor and snorkel. All of the sailboats and windsurfing boards are completely rigged. I'd have a free hour, so I'd take out a Hobie. The resort is beautiful. <BR><BR>We went Easter week and all ages were there. I wouldn't rate it high on night life.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:16 PM
fyi

IMO along with many others Bitter End is the not gourmet central. Of your choices it would be the more active commercial spot that attracts yachties. The food is medicore but there is a bit more nightlife and activity than at the other spots since Saba Rock is right there. Biras has outstanding cusine and very comfortable accomodations with grotto showers open to the air. More intimate than Little Dix or Bitter End. Little Dix has a very family-friendly feel to it now and is popular with them. You would have easier access to exploring Virgin Gorda from there and an option to dine out. Not Virgin Gorda but Peter Island might be another destination you could check out especially their beachfront rooms.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:47 AM
AJD

I have spent time at both resorts (though rent a house and so have not stayed at either). I agree with the postings and just wanted to point out that Little Dix is on a lovely beach on its own bay. You can access all of Virgin Gorda easily. Bitter End and Biras Creek are both accessible by ferry and further from &quot;the rest&quot; of the island, but offer excursions and the island is small. Bitter End offers more activities and if you like boating then is a great place to go (can rent a little boat and go off to a nearby island for a picnic on a great beach). I also think it attracts a bit of a livelier and younger crowd. The beach there is not as nice or pretty though as there is so much boating activity. Little Dix has tennis but no pool I believe and Bitter End does have a nice (not huge) pool.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:46 AM
delegator

Hi. Just got back from a &quot;week of enchantment&quot; at Biras. I'm catching up with work so don't have much time but I will say, it was wonderful. While we were there, we visited Bitter End and Little Dix Bay. We didn't see the rooms there, so I can't comment on them. What I can comment on is the fact that it is my opinion that the Bitter End is not in the same class of resort as Biras or Little Dix. It just felt so much more crowded. The swimming beaches are the same as the boating beaches, causing much activity and a lack of calm. The pool is nothing special and it appeared that the rooms are pretty far from the beach and the restaurants. At Little Dix, where the beach is beautiful, we saw very, very few people. It felt like it would be tremendously relaxing. We didn't see many children, as people warn -- just 2 infants with their youngish parents. <BR><BR>At Biras, we saw a few people here and there, but mainly just at meals. You could be completely on your own, if you wanted, which really works for a honeymoon. We had a garden suite, as opposed to an ocean suite, but we could still see the ocean and certainly could hear it! The food ranged from good to execellent, though mainly it was very good. The staff was nice -- not overly in your face at all. You will not be pampered; that is not what Biras is about. It is more about relaxing. Biras knows when to leave you alone, which is a good thing. Look, the one draw back about Biras, in my opinion again, is that the beach isn't beautiful -- it is fine, don't get me wrong -- and there are so many boats, kayaks to use, etc. -- that it is fun -- however, the beach at Little Dix is much better. Good luck with your planning.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Richard K

My wife celebrated our wedding anniversary last year at Biras and we loved the place. I agree with the majority of the comments re Biras - it is more intimate than the Bitter End, which btw if you stay at Biras you can either hike to or take one of Biras's boats over to. Little Dix is a bit of a gamble as we had friends who stayed there and they complained about how many children were there. Biras is not really a children destination - mostly couples. I would also recommend taking Biras's sail-away experience: 4 days at Biras and 2-3 days at sea. Check into this and if you are keen I would recommend the catamaran instead of the sailboat as there is more room topside. All our meals on both Biras and at sea were excellent, and the staff were very accomodating.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:21 PM
mo

My husband and I honeymooned on Little DIx. We absolutely loved it. You can have a water taxi take you and your husband to a private island for a day with a picnic lunch. THe food was great. The rooms were nice, the staff was super. I would go back in a heart beat.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Denise

Hi, <BR>Just got back from a sailing trip that hit all the spots you mentioned. Agree with most of comments posted vis-a-vis Little Dix, Bitter End etc. Bitter End has prettiest beach ever, food is more basic than gourmet-bufets with lots of choices . You should also consider Caneel Bay on ST. John. Sister resort to Little Dix. Great beaches on ST John and they will shuttle you to Virgin Gorda if you want.<BR><BR>Frankly, If I were going in July when prices are really reduced I would go to Caneel or Little Dix for the luxury and service OR I would go to ST Barts which is marvelous but too $$$$in high season.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Suggestion

In repsone with Denise's suggestion. I would have to agree that you look into St. John (Caneel Bay resort). Better yet, look into a villa, you surely won't be disappointed. <BR><BR>So many people we met did the same thing and never would stay at a hotel after experiencing a villa. Check it out. You have lots of options.<BR><BR>St. John is prettier than the island you have considered. Great place for a honeymoon.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:39 PM
penny

Jen, not to worry about fancy food at Little Dix. Their menu is excellent, nice variety, great lamb, beef and hamburgers too. The beach is beautiful, lots of water activities. Day sails, beach barbeques. Caneel is nice too, split the two if you want! Virgin Gorda is a lovley natural island.<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Snoopy

My wife and I spent two weeks at Little Dix Bay and had a wonderful time. The food was good, and our room was very nice . . . large shower, double sink in the bathroom, very close to a semi-private beach. I didn't notice a lot of kids.<BR><BR>I will say . . . there's not much to do on Virgin Gorda, night life is pretty sedate. We ate out 3 or 4 nights, the hotel dropped us off and picked us up. We rented a jeep for a week and ended up giving it back after 2 days.<BR><BR>I have also stayed at Caneel Bay on St John and it too is a wonderful place to stay. St John has spectacular beaches and it's close enough to St Thomas that if you ARE looking for a little nightlife you can find it there.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:52 AM
john

jen,<BR><BR>I've been to all three, and IMO, you are overlooking the best resorts in that area, particularly for a honeymoon. Drakes Anchorage is across the sound from Bitter End and Biras Creek. On its own island, casual elegance, some of the best food in the Carribean. Much more private. Along those lines is Guana Island, also a private island off Tortola. Very intimate, fun atmosphere. These two far surpass the others, particularly if you are more casual in your vacation approach, yet want a higher end experience. <BR><BR>Little Dix always gets rave reviews, granted a nice property but also very large, resort feel. Bitter end is a great concept for water sports but is entirely too busy and inpersonal. We stayed one night and went back to Guana Island. Biras Creek is somewhat remote, impressive but with a little bit too much of a snooty clientele. Reminded me of The Cotton House on Mustique. Nice place, but the guests need to get over themselves.<BR><BR>Virgin Gorda is a great pick. Have fun.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Suzanne

We were in Virgin Gorda last feb and went to al the places you mention. My vote would be Little Dix. The setting is SUPERB- spectacular gounds- amazing beach- excellent food-- the range of items would satisfy anyone- even the &quot;non-gourmet&quot;. Th rooms also allow privacy.<BR>The Bitter End is also very nice, but not as luxurious - while it is very private- it doesn't have the same &quot;honeymoon&quot; feel that Dix would have. It is more &quot;Club Meddy&quot; in feel.<BR>Biras Creek is the other extreme- too hoity toity- I think the crowd here is also much older and reserved. Too quiet and the beach was not what one imagines a caribbean beach to be.<BR><BR>Dix would def be my choice on Virgin Gorda.<BR>BUT....Have you considered Anguilla?? Look into that island- you may like it better- <BR>hope this was helpful-<BR>all the best<BR>Bitter

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Allison

Quick note in response to &quot;Delegator&quot; comment regarding the beach at Biras: when he says it's not beautiful, I would agree in the respect that it's not endlessly long for strolling, and the sand isn't pure white talc, but the VIEW and the SETTING of the Biras beach are stunning--not to be believed wildlife, privacy...feeling of being in Tahiti or somewhere even more remote than Virgin Gorda. <BR><BR>I also echo others' remarks that Bitter End is not in the same league--totally different experience. I'm sure I would think Bitter End was great if I had never seen Biras, but after Biras, BEYC looks/feels like TGI Friday's.<BR><BR>As for Little Dix, it's certainly a nice beach, but a more conventional (though high-end) resort, not as romantic/secluded/magical as Biras. Also the three different bodies of water/3 totally different views that Biras has beats LDB's one view.<BR><BR>Have fun! You won't go wrong at any of these places.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:07 PM
fyi

Drake's has been closed for several years. It was an absolute delight and is missed. Guana is a good substitute for it but IMO the food is not as good as at Biras or was at Drakes. <BR>I prefer a beachfront accomodation so Biras was a bit too far from their swimming beach but still wonderful. And admittedly it was one of the most satisfying snorkeling from the beach experiences I have had! Didn't even need a mask just floated for hours watching the rays, fish and marine life. Don't like the family feel at Little Dix especially in the summer with the kids staying half price in adjoining room and Bitter End is much too commercial for me but lots of activity and boating.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:22 PM
GM

Have to agree with the others - Biras is the one!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Lisa

How about Palm Island in the Grenadines? Just got back from a nine day vacation- it was absolutely beautiful.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:50 PM
GM

Agree with poster, Lisa, re: Palm Island in the Grenadines. What a lovely beach there...altho the choices in the main post were for VG, Biras, Little Dix and Bitter End, Palm Island is a wonderful property for total vegging out/relaxing.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I find interesting is that people say that Biras is snooty. Maybe one or two couples that were there when I was there were a little snooty, talking about their time at all the various resorts which was hard for us as this was a splurge and not necessarily the kind of vacation we can take again! However, most of the people were young (late 20s/early 30s) honeymooners and were very nice. In fact one group of 5 couples got so friendly that they ate dinner together a few nights during the week were were there. I wouldn't stay away because you are afraid of the snootiness. Good Luck and let us know what you decide (or if you've already decided!).<BR><BR>Delegator
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Often the couples choosing the small intimate private upscale resorts are those looking for other than the social Scene. The privacy factor of a couple choosing alone time might give some the feeling of snobby or snooty when it's just people enjoying alone personal time together without the socialization

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -