Notices

Cell Phone Coverage

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Jed

Cell Phone Coverage

I am traveling to Caneel Bay in June and I know there are no phones in the rooms. My wife is concerned because we have a new baby that will be back in the States. Is there cell phone coverage or a way for people to contact you in case of an emergency? Also, are there any laid back bars you would recommend?

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Anne

Jed,
Please call the resort. It is my understanding that they will loan you a cell phone for the length of your stay. Also if you have a cell phone of your own call your phone company to see if you will have coverage in the USVI. My Verizon phone worked perfectly.I'm told that you will have coverage if you have Sprint or Cingulair. I had a child at home also and needed to keep in touch.
As for the bar question... definitely hit the Beach Bar in Cruz Bay. Have a drink and watch the sun go down. Very laid back. They even have a hammock to relax in!

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Mari

Does anyone know if Little Dix Bay (sister property to Caneel Bay) loans cell phones also? If not, what about getting a cell phone for the British Virgin Islands?
Sorry that I couldn't reply with an answer Jed but you brought up a topic I'm also interested in.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:14 PM
debbie

I was just there in April. They do give you a cell phone if you request it. You just pay for the calls. They are also great about giving you messages if you don't have a phone. There is also a little computer room if you want to email anyone. I know you don't want to be in there on your sunny vacation, but my parents loved getting a quick email from my daughter.

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Mari

I need a cell phone for the BVI's. Should I use my own or rent one?

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
RJ

you might want to contact your telephone provider and see if they have coverage. I was in St. Thomas for New Years and could only get coverage in specific places on the island.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:02 AM
jane

Almost anywhere you go in the Caribbean there will be so so cell phone coverage.
There will be lots of dead zones etc. It's unrealistic to expect the same kind of coverage that we have in the states. You most likely will have ok service near larger towns etc.

Old May 11th, 2002, 05:48 AM
nancy

hey jed... we were at caneel in january and with Verizon we had no coverage. they said they only cover st. thomas. the phones at caneel are either the cells like everyone is talking about, or they have some regular phones that we used with our calling card. it was super easy. have fun.

Old May 11th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Nancy

oops...forgot to add that we loved the sundog cafe (i think that's what it is called) in Mongoose Junction. the bartender was really nice and we met cool people there.

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Joan

Nancy,
That's funny that your Verizon coverage didn't work at Caneel. We stayed in Cruz Bay and our Verizon worked perfectly. Go figure!
I guess it kind of proves the point about "dead zones". But as you said, regular phones and calling cards work to and Caneel staff will always get a message to you in an emergency!