International cell phone

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Connie

International cell phone

The Dallas Morning News Travel section had an article (not an advertisement) about a company offering a free cellphone deal where you would only pay for actual charges for calls placed and received. There will be no rental fee.

They are trying to encourage people to try it since "global telecommunications are a foreign concept to many people".

It caught my attention because my daughter will be staying in a dorm room with no phone for a month.

www.travelcell.com
877-235-5746

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:34 AM
xxx

See the thread on free cell phone in Europe where this offer is disected and shown to be a big big rip off. You pay through the nose for calls you can get by getting a prepaid plan in Europe for a fractiobn of the cost.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Larry

Help! I'm confused at all the various suggestions about cell phones on different threads.
I'm driving alone for a month this summer (Italy)and I DO want to have a phone with me for safety reasons. What's the cheapest way to go?. Thanks. Larry

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:09 PM
XXX

Larry:

Your's is a no brainer. Your best bet is to buy an inexpensive ($50) cell phone upon arrival in Italy with a pay as you go plan. There are many phone stores that will sell you the phone. You will then have an Italian phone number where you can be reached 24/7 and pay nothing to receive calls. To refill the phone, you go to any phone store and purchase a voucher, rub the number of the voucher and call it from the cell phone into the company.

Italian cell phone pay as you go plans are among the cheapest in Europe and you will be shocked just how cheap the calls are as compared to calling from hotels etc.

At the end of your trip, the phone is yours to keep. No worry about returning it. Next year when you go to Italy, you simply buy a pre paid plan or you can give the phone and the unused time to anybody you know going to Italy.

Hassles? Next to none despite what some people think is the "convenience" of renting a cell phone here and not "wasting" time on vacation looking for a cell phone store. I bought one a year ago and the entire transaction from start to finish took 9 minutes.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Larry

To [email protected]--- If what you say is true, then it IS a no brainer, and I thank you for the tip. I'll certainly go that route. The question is: why doesn't everyone else use that simple technique??? Larry

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:08 AM
mark

I think the cheapest way is to upgrade your existing cellphone to duel or tri band international cellphone. Renting a cell phone is too expensive about $90-$120 for one week.

I am hesitant about buying a phone overseas. First, I do not speak their language and I just don't have the time to search for a cellphone dealer.

I traded in my old phone with tri-band phone less than $65. Keep in mind I will use my cellphone for emergency situation.

If you are planning to use the phone frequently both incoming/outgoing calls then, buying phone in overseas may be more economical.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:10 AM
mark

I think the cheapest way is to upgrade your existing cellphone to duel or tri band international cellphone. Renting a cell phone is too expensive about $90-$120 for one week.

I am hesitant about buying a phone overseas. First, I do not speak their language and I just don't have the time to search for a cellphone dealer.

I trade in my old phone with tri-band phone less than $65. Keep in mind I will use my cellphone for emergency situation.

If you are planning to use the phone frequently both incoming/outgoing calls then, buying a phone in overseas may be more economical.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:46 PM
Sam

topping.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:19 PM
gsm

Mark: your upgrade idea only works if you have Voicestream as your carrier.