Calling an American Cellphone in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm bringing my cellphone with me to italy and my number will remain the same composed of aaa-bbb-cccc. If somebody wants to call my cellphone from a paid/public telephone in italy, what would they have to dial?
I'm meeting my parents there and wanted them to let me know of their arrival so I can pickem up. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM

They would dial as if they were making any international call to the United States namely:

00 1 212 555 1212 (00 being the European code for an international call, 1 of course the country code for the United States and the rest a regular USA number)...trust me it will work.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM

Yes it will work IF you have Cingular or T-Mobile. They are GSM networks. A call from a number to your US number will cost the Italian a LOT. It will be an international call to a cell phone and calls to cell phones are more costly than calls to land lines.

In Europe, the caller pays for all the cost to a cell phone. (i.e. incoming calls to European cell numbers don't cost anything to the one called.)

If you have GSM phone, ask your carrier for the unlock code and buy yourself an Italian SIM card, put it in your own phone and you will have an Italian cell phone number.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM

Again misinformation...there is so much of it on this board...

Calls from Europe to US cell phones do not cost more than calls to the US landlines from Europe for the simple reason that unlike European cell phones,US cell phones are not given a special range of numbers and from the number alone one cannot tell whether a number being called is to a landline, a cell phone, a pager, a fax machine, or whatever. The number 1 917 444 6282 might be to a landline in NYC, a cell phone in NYC, a pager in NYC, a fax machine in NYC.....the principle that calls to European cell phones is more expensive than calls to European landlines is indeed true as cell phones in Europe are given sopecial numbers...for example a British cell phone will always start with a 7 so a call in the UK to 07864285493 (a totally fictiteous number) is indeed a call to a cell phone or a special number and the billing equipment would be aware of it...a call to 020 7431 6257 is a call to a London landline (the 020 at the beginning of the number makes that clear)....
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

got it. thanks to both of you. my parents will be calling us from a paid phone, so i guess it will work....
thanks again.