Caribbean golf and beach

Sep 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Caribbean golf and beach

Going to nice beach for my 40th and will be taking the family. But, must have golf course for my husband who can't relax for too long. Thanks
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I wrote above in a hurry. I am looking for a great beach and golf resort in the Caribbean. Thanks
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM

I am not a golfer but don't they have a nice golf course in Provo? Maybe some Turks and Caicos lovers will give you advice...
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Provo in Turks and Caicos does have a nice golf course, and one of the nicest beaches in the world. On one of the ponds on the course, this year have been 2-3 flamingos hanging out-which really add to a tropical feel.

The best golf course in the Caribbean is Teeth of the Dog in Dominican Republic. You would stay at Casa De Campo in La Romana there.

The is anice course in Anguilla, but it's ultra expensive. Anguilla has some of the best beaches too.

Barbados has some nice courses, it is a huge island though, so din't know if you wanted more "compact."

Another favorite of my husband's is the course at Four Seasons in Exumas Bahamas-again excellent beaches, really nice resort.

I have not played, but seen the course in Canouan at The Raffles in St. Vinvent & the Grenadines-gorgeous area, fun sailing excursions, incredible vistas.
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:25 AM
iw

Golf in St. Kitts or Nevis is good, as well. Happy 40th. Just did it and it wasn't as painful as I expected.
Sep 30th, 2008, 06:41 AM

I have to agree with Teeth of the Dog in the Dominican Republic as being "the best" in the Caribbean but the courses at Sandy Lane (Barbados), Four Seasons (Nevis and Exuma) and Temonos (Anguilla) are all very, very good. In addition to those and others mentioned in the earlier reponses you'll find lots f "Beach/Golf Resorts" on Puerto Rico. Other islands with golf courses are: St. Thomas, St. Kitts and Antigua.

There's lots of golf in the Caribbean but it can be expensive (think in terms of $200 to $500 for Greens Fees at the better courses)so do a bit of research to set your budget before picking your final destination.
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Bermuda if you are not going in the winter months. The island has the most golf courses per sq mile (or atleast thats what our taxi driver told us). Its a beautiful sophisticated island and has some great resorts, beaches and restaurants.
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM

I would have to agree with Temenos in Anguilla. Its a great course-and you just can't beat the beaches in Anguilla. They are absolutely pristine!
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM

I have to second Bermuda - we do have some gorgeous courses here!! A lot of the hotels that aren't actually on a course can book tee-times on the private courses for their guests. Winter here is actually wonderful for golf, but not for the beach.
Sep 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for some wonderful suggestions. I will pass them on to my husband so he can "surprise" me on my gift.
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM

I was in the same dilema last March. The Fodorites helped us choose Ocean Club West on Grace Bay, Provo, Turks and Caicos.

After going to many, many different islands over the last 20 years, this is our place.

The beach is outstanding, you can walk to maybe 10 extremely good restaurants, and best of all for MDH, they had a shuttle to the golf course about 1 mile away.

He loved it and golfed every morning while I just vegged on the beach reading.

The drawbacks, if any, are not much shopping(I could care less) and other than a good dinner, not much nightlife(as far as I'm concerned, this means no "spring breakers" and loud drunks around).

We will return to Grace Bay again in March, probably to Ocean club west(www.oceanclubresorts.com). Ocean Club's original resort is nice also, but a little older and we liked the location of "West" better.

There are alot of very nice properties on Grace Bay, it's hard to choose---pick your amenities and go for it!

Search this Thread