Car rental - St John or St Thomas?

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental - St John or St Thomas?

My husband and I will be going to St John for the first time within the next few months. We want to rent a car. Do you take the ferry to St John and then rent your car there or do you rent a car on St Thomas, and take it on the ferry to St John? Can the ferry take cars from STT to STJ? If so, what is the fee? It seems it would be easier to rent a car on STT and take it to STJ because when you have to return to the airport, you will already have a car to drive from the ferry drop off point at STT to the airport. If you can not take a car on the ferry to STJ, are there taxis waiting by the ferry drop off in STT that can take you to the airport to catch your plane for the trip home? What do most people do when staying on STJ? Sorry so long - thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM

Hi gwenivere, I was just going to post this exact question! We are also going to St. John in the spring, and have booked a Jeep from STT and were planning on driving over to St. John. (The ferries do take cars). BUT, it looks actually to be cheaper to book through car rental companies on St. John, so we are debating do that instead and just taking a taxi to the ferry, etc. Anxious to hear replies from others...!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM

Hi We too are going to St. John in May. We have booked a rental car from thrifty in St Thomas and will be taking it over to St. John by way of the Red Hook Ferry. We found it to be much cheaper than St. John when you take into account the ferry fees, taxi fees and lugging your luggage around. We can actually save over $50. I did hear that if you do rent on St. Thomas make sure the rental agencies let you take their car over to St. John...Hertz does not allow this...I did ask the question about having problems with car and they said there is a roadside service and I think it is $50....just like if you were to take it into another state. Anyway, Thrifty had the best deal and good reviews. The barge runs every hour make sure you get a one way pass not round trip because you are then stuck on that ferry and may have to wait for the next one...pay a few extra dollars and you can get on any barge when you arrive at the dock. Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:47 AM

OOps.....forgot the price for a one way is around $26.00 and it is easier to get off the ferry and just go and if your flight is later in the day you can cruise around St. Thomas
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

In my opinion, it would be much easier to rent in St John. Getting from the airport to the ferry is easily done via taxis, same with your return trip home.

You also need to take into account that some STT car rental places don't allow the vehicle to go to STJ. You also have to ask about roadside help. If you happen to breakdown in STJ, just how easy do you think it'll be for the company on STT to help you??? If you rent from STJ, and breakdown, they would simply bring you another jeep.

Vacation is about convenience to me, and if that means spending an extra $50 bucks to make things easier, then so be it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM

One more point that I left out. Parking in Cruz Bay is not easy. I'd highly recommend a STJ rental company that allows you to use their parking lot while in town. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM

Driving in St.Thomas is awful! Rent a car in St.john. I second that St.john parking spots are very minimal, so if theres a way to secure one, do so.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Just to add to this thread, 12 days into a two week trip the transfer case on our Jeep Liberty started making unpleasant sounds. Courtesy on St. John did a good job, but even the paperwork ( new vehicle ) disrupted the morning.Imagine doing this with a St. Thomas rental company?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM

When we went to st. John last year I considered the same thing. We ended up renting from Conrad Sutton in STJ, which is a short walk from the ferry dock. We rented a jeep, and were so glad we did. I was considering renting a smaller, cheaper sedan in STT and driving it over, but I never would have made it up our villa's driveway.

Also, the trip through St. Thos was a nightmare (it was very traffic-y, esp. by the cruise ship port). I was glad to leave it to a taxi driver.

Have fun in STJ!