Bringing ground coffee with us

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound crazy to some, but I am picky about my 1st cup of coffee in the morning. Since we are staying in a condo, I prefer to bring my own, instead of buying the stuff at the supermarket. Will they let us bring in our own coffee. I have it in one of those coffee bags and enclosed in a ziploc.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure where you're going, but I don't think there is a problem bringing ground coffee. You may have a problem with fresh fruits, vegetables and meats however. I usually bring a small container of instant coffee.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:38 PM

I too am very picky about my morning coffee, and have taken my own grounds with me to Turks & Caicos, and to Nassau. I also take a jar with sugar, and a bottle of half & half (it keeps fine in the ice bucket). I've never been questioned about it.

There's nothing better than to sit on the balcony, drinking "MY" coffee, and looking out at the beautiful blue water and beach. I consider it heaven on earth.

Drink a cup for me.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Grand Cayman. I bring sugar packets that are factory sealed, so that shouldn't be a problem. The coffee is in a bag, like the ones you get at Duncan Donuts, but not sealed.

I'm thinking customs may want to go thru it, thinking there could be something else mixed in.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:21 PM

I have certainly brought pounds and pounds of coffee out of Jamaica into the U.S. so I can't imagine it would be a problem taking some into another country.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:37 AM

Each country has their own rules about what food items can be brought into a country. Most countries prohibit fresh fruits, vegetables, plants and meats. You should be OK with coffee, but you should check the customs regulations of the country. Coffee is sometimes used as a place to put drugs, as the smell can put scent dogs off. Coffee may be treated with pesticides that a country does not want imported.

Grand Cayman is part of the British Overseas Territories, so UK customs regulations would apply, absent specific regulations applicable to Cayman. Customs information can usually be found on the websites of the embassy or consulate for that country in the US. You can get links to websites for most every embassy and consulate in the world at travel.state/gov.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:16 AM

Coffee should be no problem.

Not sure exactly where, but you can find customs regs for Cayman (we have our own) on www.gov.ky

I too am really picky about coffee, so some inside info :
- Some really great coffee is actually roasted and packaged here by Cayman Coffee Company, I drink nothing else but their Costa Rican dark roast.... it is excellent, available at local supermarkets and makes a great gift to take home to the US
- Several coffee shops in Cayman, but the best coffee is at Cafe del Sol by the cineman. I drink my coffee one way, black, no sugar, and like a strong roast... their french roast is, as the brits say, the mutts nuts !