room safety - videocamera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious about the room safety of the all inclusive we are staying at. Considering bringing our videcamera, but are the safes big enough to put the camcorder in? Will it be worth it to bring it, or better off leaving it at home?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:41 PM

Leave it at home so you won't worry about it. You will enjoy whatever it is you may want to record more if you are not recording it. On second thought, if you're with someone who wants to parasail, take it and hope for a Funniest Home Video moment.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I have never worried about room safety on any island - except St. Lucia where I actually did have a camera stolen(it was not in the safe). The safes usually aren't real big, but they will hold a videocamera and a wallet - no more than that. Personally, I would never leave mine at home. I have wonderful footage of Japanese dinners being cooked by very funny chefs and my being invited to participate in whatever and it's priceless. A helicopter ride may be the exception as you may miss a lot of the views.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:38 AM
cdt

We have a fairly compact videocam (VHS-C) and it has always fit into room safes. Unless you have one of those big old clunky ones (original VHS format), it'll probably fit.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:02 AM
caribtraveler

my suggestion is that you carry a lock for your luggage just in case the safe is too small. i always do and have locked items in my luggage in the hotel room in the past.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I rarely feel like having a videocam with me in Jamaica....but I did bring it once and I still treasure the 30 minutes or so of tape we shot on tha ttrip...so I guess it's really up to you.

I'll probably bring mine this time but leave it in the room for the most part. I feel the security issue is not the staff at the hotel but leaving it laying on the beach, in a restaurant, etc...not to mention the more serious risk of sand/saltwater damage