Search

DECENT COFFEE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DECENT COFFEE

Anyone solved the problem of terrible mass produced cruise line coffee ? Cappucino helped but not much. On long trip need to do my own thing. Permissible, do-able in cabin ?
Suggestions: drip ? perc. ? practical
coffeemaker to pack and transport ? Or do I have to give it up and go through withdrawal miseries before I go ? Good natured but..........
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM

I KNOW what you mean. My solution is to bring an electric pot to heat water, a French press coffee maker and my own coffee of course
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I agree. The worst thing on our cruise was the coffee that tasted like ass. I'm not kidding, it was awful. I'd try to go by the bar and have coffee there, at least they had real 1/2 and 1/2, they used if for drinks. I am wondering too if Princess upgraded the coffee and non dairy creamers.

I just may bring my sensco, I'm totally addicted to the machine. One or Two hot cups of frothy coffee in seconds.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:33 AM

Most NCL ships have a coffe pot IN each cabin! They're like the kind and size you find in a hotel room. If you're going NCL, take your own coffee.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM

Even Celebrity, which is suposed to have decent food, had truly rotten coffee.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM

Actually and much to my surprise the coffee on our last two Princess cruises, on the Tahitian and the Star was not too bad. It was a definite improvement from the Sapphire.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Mamaw. Thank you. What is a sensco ? I feel vindicated that so many agree about the bad coffee
Jacketwatch. Good idea. Is that a Bodum (spelling ?) or similar ? Is the glass component a travel problem ?

Good for Princess if they are trying. I hope HAL will "come on board". Pun - sorry. I will ask if they supply coffeemaker. Thanks for ideas everyone.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:09 AM

I think the term is Senseo and its a coffee maker that uses prepackaged coffee packets for one cup servings. I think. I am not sure what brand of French press I have but they all use the same principle. As for the glass component I did put it in my carry aboard bag to avoid breakage. However if you wrap it well it should be fine in the regular travel luggage. Cheers, Larry
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM

jojigirl

Yep, Sensco is a coffee machine that uses pods. One for one, Two for 2 cups. The coffee comes out hot, frothy and yummy. It would be bulky, but easy to pack and I'm serious. I'm going to take it unless someone on Fodor's tell's me the coffee is better on the Grand Princess. We leave in Dec.07.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for follow up. I will now go shopping based on your suggestions.
My only worry with the pods would be is powdered creamer included. For short trip no problem, for long trip maybe not too healthy ?
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Another portable option is a one-cup Melitta Cone. It uses standard 1-cup Melitta Cone filters, you provide the hot water and coffee. Pour the water in the cone and let it drip through. It works on the same principle as a drip coffee machine, except you control the flow of water not a machine. I've had mine for a long time, but I have seen them on various websites and in stores (for example, Sur La Table has them).

My second choice would be a french press just because of the packability factor - luggage gets thrown around enough to make me leary about putting a glass flask in it. Alhtough I usually make my coffee in a french press when at home.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:22 AM

It's the water that makes a good pot/cup of coffee.

Example: we drink one particular coffee all the time at home and it tastes so good. But when I brought that same coffee to work to make a cup, it tastes so different. It's the water - different at work from home.

It's probably why the coffee tastes indifferent on ships.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM

I think BlueSea raises a great point. I love dunkindoughnuts coffee but the tastes is different from place to place. Even a 10 mile radius. I think it is due to the water difference. Also I have to use half and half and most ships do not have half and half on board. This also makes a huge difference to me.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM

I agree that Celebrity has horrible coffee. It also depended a lot on where the coffee came from. The coffee from room service was extremely bitter, at the buffet it was so burned that you couldn't drink it, and the coffee at the main dining was actually quite good.

We opted for the Cova Cafe (the coffee bar you had to pay for) and it was very good.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Very interesting responses and great tips. Thanks everyone. Check out Post #6 on the same subject. Fascinating - such a simple topic points out our different strokes for different folks attitude. Fun if not taken too seriously and along the way everybody has been most helpful. Just enjoyed my Second Cup home style......
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Name of post, jojisgirl?

The number change all the time.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

any cruise ship serving good coffee is the name of the other post. Sorry, Blue Sea, did not realize the numbers changed.