Green coffee beans for sale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if green (un-roasted) coffee beans are for sale anywhere in CR? I was going to try the big mercado in downtown SJ.

(I have a brother who roasts his own and I owe him for airport transport.)
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

In case anyone else is looking for green coffee... I did find it at the Volio coffee stand on the north side of, and across the street from, the central market in San Jose. Two kilos for about $8.50 - my brother was thrilled. I would also advise this location for anyone wanting to purchase roasted coffee at very good prices.

And don't miss the central market!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I'm very surprised that you would be allowed to bring in green coffee beans from abroad, as customs doesn't usually allow any type of plant or live foodstuff to be brought in. Do they make an exception for coffee beans?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

That is a good question - I don't know! I did not even think to declare them because they are not live or fresh, and if I recall the questions upon re-entry to the US centered on live plants or fresh fruits and vegetables. Green coffee beans have been thoroughly dried and are as inert as the dried pinto beans you would find on a grocery store shelf. I can't imagine this would be a concern, but again, I don't know for sure. I know roasted coffee is not an issue.

Anyone else know for sure?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I don't think it's just live plants, or fresh fruits/vegetables they don't allow, it's a lot of plant material, also. Anyway, green coffee beans are a plant fruit, aren't they? I was next to a guy who got busted at the airport last summer because he tried to sneak in some plant material in his bags without declaring it. I saw it and it looked like long dried peppers on stalks or something. It was definitely not live and not a fresh fruit or vegetable.

Maybe they allowed it later, but he was held up and questioned, I didn't stick around. They do allow some dried condiments and mustard.

Well, I just checked the Customs website and while they talk about a lot of food and what is allowed or not, they don't mention coffee at all. I don't think it's just whether something is dry, but whether it could still harbor a pest or fungus. They say you can call the Ag Dept for questions, 301-734-8836. The specific website on food stuffs is here and seems to imply that unroasted coffee would not be allowed (as it can harbor pests)
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Get up the area to state of Nayarit and stop at La Penita for great green coffee beans at really good price, but you need to add cost of transportation to it!!!

From Yahoo group:
Puerto_Vallarta_OldTown_SouthSide