Best place to rent a car on Grand Cayman...

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Best place to rent a car on Grand Cayman...

We will be at the Westin on GCI from a Wednesday to Sunday. My company is paying for the trip and all transportation but I thought it might be nice to rent a car to explore on our own. What do you think?

Couple of things. Do hotels charge for parking? Also where is the cheapest place to rent cars....any at the airport?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 12:07 PM

I would go with Andy's car rental. My family and friends came to GC for my weddign and we all rented cars from Andy's. Everyone was pleased. They also offered the lowest rates I found. Check their website for specials. They have locations at the airport and on 7MB. And they do pick you up if need be.

Hotels do not charge for parking.

Have fun!!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:23 AM

I am also looking for a good car rental in Grand Cayman. Is there an agency that rents new model cars? I have read several trip reports where people mention getting car rentals that are pretty beaten up.. also can the rental agencies pick you up at the airport or not? I keep reading conflicting info on this. THANKS!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM

there are car rental agencies at the airport so no need to get picked up there.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:34 AM

I am also going to be at the Westin next week... (Tuesday to Sunday)I am counting the days How many days do you think we should rent a car. My whole theory is to relax and to rent a car as little as possible(and use a taxi the other days when need be). We just want to explore the other side of the island. Is one or two days sufficient? Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Yes, 1 or 2 days is sufficient. We rented 1 for just a day and saw just about everything we wanted to see.

We stayed next door to the Westin at Villas of the Galleon and walked to most places along 7MB.

I am very envious of you all!!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Coconuts Rental rents new cars. The agency that rents the older ones, from what I've read, is Andy's.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM

We rented a honda civic from Avis. They had newer models and very competitive prices.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
anonxx

We have never gotten a rental car in Grand Cayman more than one year old, or with more than 20,000 miles on it. Our last car (actually mini van) from Andy's was just about brand new. If you are concerned, ask the age of the car at the time you make your reservation. They are all very accomadating and honest.

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We decided to rent the car for one 24 hour period (6pm to 6pm). We have dinner the one night at Reef Grill, which we could drive to from the Westin and then drive around the island the next day and see Rum Point, the Blowholes, etc.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Andy's has very good rates and most of their cars are nearly brand new. Taxis will cost a fortune, but I guess if the company is paying, it isn't such a big deal.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:20 PM

I've rented from both Hertz and Andy's - always seem to have gotten cars that aren't exactly old, but definitely are pretty beat up. My advice would be to tell them when you make the reservation that you want a fairly new car in very good condition and then when you get there, ask them to see the specific car they're giving you before you agree to anything. Also, if you want a left drive car and not a right, you need to let them know.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Do not rent a car through Yahoo Travelocity!!! We reserved a special SUV (meaning a large one) from Budget through the internet and Travelocity, only to get there and find out that they don't even carry that class of vehicle there. They said all of the reservations were made in the US and they didn't bother to find out what the other countries stocked. Luckily, all of the rental companies are in a row across the street from the terminal and we found a station wagon at another co. The locals usually recommend Coconuts Rentals. Just don't reserve through Travelocity!!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM

We rented at Budget at the airport in December 2003. They didn't have the Taurus we rented online but gave us a Marquis for the same price as we needed a larger car. It wasn't brand new but only about 2 years old and in nice shape. Most cars and rental cars on the island tend to be small as gas is expensive (we are catching up to them in gas prices these days ). Small Jeeps are popular but I would suggest renting off the individual webs sites (Coconut, Avis, or Budget). Also, if you have an Avis or Budget membership card they do not apply in Grand Cayman and are not connected with Avis or Budget in the USA. I found this out at the rental desk. Don't forget about car insurance, just make sure your covered as I was told you can't leave the island if you have an accident until the accident coverage is satisfied or guaranteed. American Express may cover you if you use it to charge the car but call and ask to be sure. Most USA insurance companies don't provide auto insurance out of the country.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I've rented from Andy's, Economy and Avis and have never had an older car. I've only had that experience in Aruba. Our car last week from Economy was a brand new Hundai with less than 300 kilometers on it. Avis seems to use the same sizing of cars in Cayman that they do in the U.S. Our full size last year was a Taurus--full size from Economy was an this Hundai. It was adequate but about half the size of the Avis full size car!