Car Rental in Grand Cayman?

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Car Rental in Grand Cayman?

We are going to Grand Cayman in December and planning to rent a car. Do we need four wheel drive? I am guessing not since the island is somewhat flat, right? Also, we will be staying at the Marriott on 7 Mile Beach. Do you think we should rent for the whole week at the airport or just a couple days from the hotel? It looks like the Marriott is walking distance to restaurants and entertainment. We love snorkeling and would like to spend at least three days exploring the island and snorkeling spots. But we'll want to relax at the hotel for at least one day and are also planning to take a day trip one day, so we probably wouldn't need a car on those days. Thanks for your advice!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Definitely get a car for at least a few days. Absolutely do NOT need 4WD....just get an el cheapo car to get you around when needed. You will be within walking distance to quite a few restaurants, but the car gets you to MUCH more snorkeling sites. You can rent a car directly across the street from the Marriot. Some of the best snorkel sites on the island will require a short drive.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM

We used Andys. It's right across the street from the airport (small little side road). You can walk over there. Very good operation. Good car. Not cheap tho. Nothing is in GC.

Peace, Greenie.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I think we will go ahead and rent a car for the whole week, then we can visit the snorkel spots whenever we want.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM

We used Thrifty rental car across from the airport..very friendly service!

Christie
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM

I'd like to toss McCurley's in the hat for consideration. A locally owned company with the best customer service EVER.

Description: A great local car rental company that offers shuttle to and from the airport, with a stop for groceries. Affordable Nissan sedans.
Phone: 345 947 9626

You'll not meet nicer folks than BA and McCurley AND they have great prices on their cars.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I live in Cayman and whenever I need to rent a car, I always choose Andy's. I find the staff very accommodating and the rates are some of the best you're going to find here. The Marriott is indeed in the heart of the action and walking distance to a lot of places. Taxis are expensive, so unless the Marriott has a pickup service, frankly the taxi fare from and to the airport would probably cover at least a day's car rental. If, on the other hand, you DO decide that you don't need a car every day, Andy's Seven Mile Beach branch is conveniently located nearly directly opposite the Marriott where you're staying. They usually give you the seventh day free on a week's rental. Make sure you book far in advance no matter where you choose - December is high season and although they will probably not run out of vehicles, you don't want to end up with a nine-seater van when you only wanted a compact car!