Bermuda ideas.

Dec 7th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda ideas.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Bermuda and so much of the news is not good: Horizons closing and possibly Waterloo House, Pink Beach supposedly worn. I'd appreciate some ideas about nice properties there. We're open to all kinds of places. Anyone stay at Royal Palms or Surfside Beach Club? Or other idea is Cambridge Beaches.
Dec 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Royal Palms is lovely, it's in town, not beachy. It used to be a private residence, great location if you want to be in town. Cambridge Beaches is fine, but sort of out of the way a little. What kind of activities, hotel are you looking for? Have you been here before? I'll see what I can help you with if you can give me a little more info!
Dec 10th, 2007, 12:37 AM
oceankayaker7

Look into the Reefs. Its right on the beach. I know the Mandarin just opened on Bermuda.

Dec 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Hi:

Stayed at the Royal Palms when I couldn't get a room at the Hamilton Princess. Stayed in Jan & Ascot's was under renovations, but the owners gave me an upgrade to the newer wing right next to the outdoor pool. Room was fantastic w/ flat screen tv, upgraded linens, nice bathroom & plenty of closet space. Owners really go out of their way to make you feel at home & in the morning the free breakfast is cool. Only peeve I had was that no electronic locks weren't installed, so you had to use a key to get in after a certain hour and I ended up knocking on the door loudly to rouse owners to let me in. Just have to adjust mindset to smaller intimate hotel.

Location's cool, 10 minute walk to city & pool area was nicely landscaped. I prefer bigger resort, but Palms was a nice change of pace.
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Txgirlinbda, my husband and I will primarily be going to the beach or sitting by the pool, but we like to dress for dinner. I like to shop, which DH tolerates. We went to Bermuda for our honeymoon 22 years ago and stayed at Pink Beach. We really had our hearts set on staying at Horizons this time, but it has closed. He wants to rent a moped while we are there. We like to exercise a lot, so a fitness center would be nice.
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Actually, Oceankayaker, the Reefs website looks amazing!
Dec 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I am in Bermuda this week and staying at Pompano, which is quite nice. Pompano has a small beach with a sandbar which allows you to walk probably 200 yds out at low tide. The rooms are nice and the location is very good. The fitness center is relatively well equipped and it is about a half a mile from access to the Bermuda railroad trail. Oleander Cycles is at the base of the hill. It is a casual (limited dress code, no denim and no ball caps) and very friendly resort. I was out at Cambridge Beaches spa today and it is a lovely resort. Beautiful grounds, excellent fitness center, very nice beaches and a first rate spa. I will post a trip report when I return home. I am going to the Reefs spa tomorrow. The hotel itself is closed for renovations. It is very popular and has a good reputation for service and food.
Bermuda is another world. Have a wonderful trip.
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:06 AM

brewlew-
I am thinking Cambridge Beaches for a smaller place or Elbow Beach for a big hotel. What time of year are you visiting? Royal Palms would definitely put you in the right place for shopping and dinner, but no workout room.
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM

cmcfong I hope you are having a great time!

11 more days and I'm there!
Dec 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I was at Cambridge Beaches last year (before they finished the pool renovations) and really liked it. The rooms were very nice, property is well maintained, food was excellent, spa was great and the staff were very good (except for the person who was supposed to be concierge). The only challenge is that it is a bit away from everything but you can take their ferry into town (although I was disappointed with the shopping because everything was SO expensive) and the bus service was very easy.
Dec 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Hi bhonoreh ! Lucky you. It was a fabulous week. I will post a trip report as soon as life gets on a bit more normal routine.

I have to agree the shopping is not what it was some years ago. The clothes are either very high end (think Pucci and Missoni) or basic mall stuff you could find for less in the States. I still enjoy going to Blucks, Cecile and the Irish Linen shop, but I don't buy much any more.

The spa at the Reefs was much less impressive than the one at the Cambridge Beaches.
Dec 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM

cmcfong I look forward to your report. And am glad your are home safe and sound.

I leave on Saturday for Boston and then fly out Sunday morning.

I am most excited about seeing and being with my sister. It has been a year since I last saw her which is the longest time we have gone in between visits. My Mom is going as well.

The only bummer is my new husband (our first year as husbdand and wife) can't come. And I will be gone for Christmas and New Year's. But, you can't have everything, right?

Again, am looking forward to your report.
Dec 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I know you are excited about the trip. I left my DH at home,too. It is a sad thing he can't go with you, such a beautiful place to spend the holiday. Have a wonderful trip.
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Thank you cmcfong!

Have you ever been to Swizzle Inn?