lahina shores beach resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at or checked out this hotel? We're thinking about it for our honeymoon. I don't expect the hyatt, but I don't want a dump either. Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed there 2 years ago February for 1 week. It was for my Mom & Dad's 50th anniversary. Between our group we had 5 different units at the hotel - 3 ocean views, 2 mountain view. Since they are condos the units were quite different from each other in decor and condition.

Personally, I loved the place!! It was like having your own studio apartment. Mine was probably the least spruced up room, but still with a great ocean view, murphy bed, full kitchen, TV, AC, etc.

I liked the pool area very much, which is on a large lawn, and with a path down to a narrow beach behind. The open air lobby was great for island ambiance.

I loved the location which is the south end of Front Street. This was good for my family because we could walk to things in town, either individually or in large or small groups for meals and shopping.

It's hard to judge what someone you don't know would consider a "dump". There was rust on my refrigerator, for instance. Does that freak you out or not? I don't know.

If you have more specific question, feel free to ask and I'll check back later.

Old May 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM

One more big plus for me, while the word "resort" is in the name, the place definitely does not have a mega-resort atmosphere. No "activities" or over enthusiastic activities staff, no piped in music by the pool, etc. It's personal preference I know, but I hate that stuff.

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Lahaina Shores is a very ordinary property located on the busiest street in Lahaina, and with a very poor and unswimmable beach.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM

I've stayed at Lahaina Shores several times & will be staying there again Feb 2006. It definitely isn't a deluxe property, but the units have pretty much everything you need. Unit #501 is a 1 BR corner unit which is really nice & can be rented direct thru the owner. If you want more info on it, email me at [email protected] - no, I'm not the owner, just stayed in the unit. I've also stayed in about 4 different studio units & never had any complaints. I always go for the ocean view units. As Rusty said, it is on busy Front Street, but at the far southern end. You do have the restaurants & shops of 505 Front St next door, but I've never been bothered by that. I disagree with Rusty that the beach there is unswimmable - it isn't the best, but you will always see people swimming & floating around on rafts, etc.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Not trying to defend this property but give an accurate picture. While it does sit on Front Street, it is away from town 5 min. walk, and the ocean view rooms do not have noise from the street or parking lot. My brother snorkeled directly out back using cheap gear he bought at the store nearby. I think it is good value for the price (which I believe was ~$200/night).
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM

It may be POSSIBLE to swim at the beach in front of Lahaina Shores but if a nice beach is important to you be warned NOT to stay there. The beach is narrow, and the water is full of coral. This is not a great beach. This is not even a good beach. It is a strip of sand that is BARELY swimmable.

It may be a five minute walk from the center of town but it is on busy front street and it is next door to a busy commercial complex (505 Front Street) and it is next to a noisy bar that is a favorite hangout of locals especially on the weekend. While it is very close to all the restaurants, stores and t-shirt shacks on Front Street, Front Street is the kind of place you may want to visit once or twice but most people do not want to stay there for their whole visit. There are no major hotels and few places to stay in Lahaina because few people want to actually stay in Lahaina.

Lahaina Shores is a mediocre property in every respect (e.g. rust on the refrigerator, damaged furniture, and stained carpets are common). Why would anybody want to go all the way to Hawaii and stay in a busy and crowded town atmosphere with no decent beach?
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Respectfully Rusty, people look for different things on their vacations. You are being very judgemental thinking everyone wants the same thing you do.

We each have described the hotel as seen thru our own eyes and Megigan can decide for herself if it suits her.

<Why would anybody want to go all the way to Hawaii and stay in a busy and crowded town atmosphere with no decent beach?>

I loved Lahaina. Because I'm single but like to have people around me. Because I'd just as soon hang around a nice pool on a lawn with ocean view as sit in the sand or swim in the ocean. Because I like all the various ways to spend time offered in a honky-tonk town atmosphere. Because you can get around town on foot and don't need to rent a car. Because locals actually live in this town.

To me vacation h*ll would be sitting on a beautiful but deserted beach in the middle of nowhere that I had to rent a car and drive to. Or staying in a $500/night room in a Disney-esque 5-star resort complex filled with couples and families.

Old May 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Suze, the original poster asked for opinions on this property. I gave mine. You gave yours. You are certainly entitled to disagree with my opinion on the property but you had to make it personal by criticizing me personally (judgemental). Stick to the discussion of the property.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Actually I don't disagree with anything you said about the hotel. It's certainly all true enough.

It got of track and personal when you asked the question "Why would anybody go to..." So I answered your question from my point of view.

Old May 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I'd like to put a more positive spin on this now by asking instead...

Does anyone know of a nicer & better place to stay in the Lahaina area, that has a pool and kitchens in the room, in the ~$200/night range?
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Making a reference to "anybody" is not personal. Making a reference to "you" is personal.

There are no such places at a similar rate. In fact there are very few places of any kind to stay in Lahaina, and there are no higher quality accommodations. I assume that is because there is no demand because few people want to stay in Lahaina.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:27 PM

If it was my honeymoon, I would be choosing a beachfront location away from the traffic. Have you looked at staying in Kaanapali or Wailea? Wailea is very nice and there are some bargains to be found. Much more relaxing, beautiful area, very tropical.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I guess I've had totally different experiences at LS than Rusty. I will be staying there for the 5th time next Feb. Have never experienced rusty refrigerators, damaged furniture or stained carpeting. Never been bothered by the busy bar next door, either. I do always stay on the ocean front side & I always book direct thru an owner - maybe that makes a difference. I will admit that some of the communal areas, hallways, elevators, etc could use some updating, but LS has been doing that little by little. I also have to admit that I'm not a swimmer, so I'm not concerned about swimming conditions right in front of property.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Back to the OP, like the poster above, Lahaina Shores is a hotel I enjoyed and one I would happily return to when I visit Maui and stay in Lahaina. I felt it was a good value.

Old May 17th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Sorry suze, I tend to agree with Rusty about the quality of the hotel.

I posted this reply on 6/4/04 under Lahaina Shores Beach Resort/Maui Prince: "I wouldn't call the Lahaina Shores a "real gem". I'd call it a less than 3 star resort, in a so-so location, with a popular bar next door. (As well as the Feast at LeLe which runs 5 nights a week at 505 Front Street - right next door). It can be very noisy at times, and you'll definitely have to drive to go to a decent beach. If you want to try something less expensive, yet nice, try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They've been given numerous awards as the most Hawaiian of all the hotels in the islands. Not a lot a glitz and glamour, but for a 3 star hotel they have a wonderful staff, and nice accommodations."
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Thank you for the recommendation, I very much appreciate your sharing a suggestion for a better spot for me to try.