Stopover between Launceton & Freycinet

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopover between Launceton & Freycinet

We're driving from Launceton to Freycinet in early April and have a night in between. Can anyone recommend their favorite place? St. Mary's? St. Helen's? Ross? We're looking for a small place with wonderful views,good food and wine. While I'm at it, I've heard Pelican Bay and Old Town B&B are nice alternatives to Freycinet Lodge. FL looks fabulous, but it sure is pricey.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:29 PM

You mention you will have a nights accommodation, somewhere between Launceston and Freycinet. Might I suggest, "Surfrider Motel" at Beamauris Beach, north of Scammander. This motel overlooks the ocean & beach. Just a short walk across the road to the beach, for walks or a swim (should be able to swim in April), also if the same chef is still employed there, you will be in for a treat. People drive some distance to eat the chef's seafood dishes. Staff very friendly & polite.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks Tropo! Sounds great. I can't seem to find it on Tasmania websites or Google. Any clues?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure which motel group it comes under, it may even be an indepdendant motel, in that, it doesn't belong to any chain.
Even if you dont stay at this motel, its still a nice place to visit for dinner.
The dining room has glass windows, floor to ceiling, to take in the ocean views, and next door the dining room, is an unusual mixed lounge/bar with surfing pictures all over the windows, and a surfboard on the ceiling (the owners son loves surfboard riding)
Then next door to the mixed lounge, is an "outdoor" area with tables/chairs and market umbrellas, nice spot with a Tasmanian beer, seabreeze and overlooking the ocean.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:49 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We visited Tasmania this past October.

We were really taken with St. Helens as we drove from Freycinet to Launceston. We didn't stay there, but it looked like a nice town and if we ever go back, I'd love to spend some time there.

We also stayed at the Pelican Bay B&B near Freycinet and I highly recommend it. The owner offers rooms through Wotif.com, which worked really well for us.

Have fun.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Melnq8 - I agree St.Helens is a nice town. We have a soft spot for this town and the nearby coastal area. Not far away is Binalong Bay, - just beautiful, the sand is so white, the water so blue. Then up the road you will the The Gardens and the southern point of Bay of Fires NAtional Park.
Also from St.Helens there is a nice coastal drive out to the peninsula, with some nice bays & beaches enroute.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:27 PM

There isn't much in St Helens, but if you stay there it is a small drive to Binnalong Bay and the Bay of Fires -- beautiful stuff! This area of Tasmania is definitely worth seeing. There is a large hotel in St Helens down near the lake, but I can't remember the name of it! There are plenty of B&Bs around, you just need to search for "St Helens" + "Tasmania" for accommodation there. Freycinet Lodge is totally worth it! You must stay there, regardless of cost! The food at the restaurant is to die for and the view at sunset from the restaurant's balcony - heaven! From there you can do the walk to Wineglass Bay, back through Hazards Beach. The most beautiful part of Tasmania. Other parts of Tasmania you might not want to miss are Cradle Mountain and the Tamar Valley region.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM

And since you mentioned Ross, do go there and the lovely nearby village of Oatlands for many beautiful old Georgian buildings. Have fun!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all of your advice.