Need "Quaint" in the Caribbean!

Dec 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Need "Quaint" in the Caribbean!

Please help me. My Dad is trying to plan a trip for my mother for January. He likes the "look" of Bermuda but wants something warmer for January. Can anyone give me some suggestions for "quaint" locations? She likes the Caribbean feel but not the sun/water (skin cancer). Thanks for any suggestions!
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM

hi nancybaileylilly, love your screen name.
bermuda will be Cold in jan. even for non-beach people.

take a look at sister islands st. kitts and nevis. loads of charm and history and small so easy to get around. these 2 have not become touristy yet, but have some nice accomodations. not sure of your budget but four seasons nevis is known as one of the absolute best hotels in the islands.

the island most like bermuda is probably barbados - similiar geography, much larger but would have that british feel. many things to do on land. not sure if it is "quaint", but does have some old plantations.
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:19 AM

If your parents aren't concerned about the sun/water, but want quaint, I would suggest Hopetown, on Elbow Cay, in the Abacos. January may be a bit cool if you're looking for swimming and laying on the beach, but if you want a charming village to stroll around in, and beautiful views from a covered porch, this could be it.

The Abacos were settled in the late 1700s by Loyalists fleeing the "colonies". They brought with them, among other things, New England style architecture (think Cape Cods and cottages), but they are painted exuberant shades of pink, turquoise, coral, mint green, yellow. They line narrow streets (no cars allowed in the settlement) which ring a nearly land-locked harbour. A red-and-white striped lighthouse -- one of the last kerosene-fired ones on earth --stands sentry over it. Across a narrow bit of land, a crystal blue sea rolls onto miles of pinkish sand beach.

Small inns and villas are the choices of places to stay, and there are a handful of restaurants and shops. If you tire of Elbow Cay, you can ferry to Great Abaco, Great Guana, Man-O-War, etc.

I have a few trip reports on my webpage here: http://islandtime.homestead.com/mainpage1.html. And there are several good message board if you'd like to learn more, including: www.abacomessageboard.com and www.abacoforum.com.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Check out Nisbet Plantation on Nevis -- lots of Caribbean charm and similar feel to some of the bungalow resorts on Bermuda. (In fact they have a sister property on Bermuda, The Reefs).
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
bigsur7

I agree with Barbados, the weather will be much warmer.
Sandy Lane is very $$$$, but its worth the splurge.
Andrew

Dec 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Saba.
Dec 14th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Here's another vote for Saba.

www.sabatourism.com

Dec 16th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Agree with Saba and will add Bequia to the list of quaint
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I second Nisbet Plantation, Nevis www.nisbetplantation.com . You should also look into The Hemitage on Nevis. Nisbet's is a beach resort. very low density. The Hemitage www.hermitagenevis.com is a mountain resort in a garden valley and the rooms are individual Chattle houses and plantation buildings.
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I would agree with St Kitts/Nevis. Definitely quaint and some great plantation hotels oozing with atmosphere. Check out Ottleys on St Kitts and Hermitage, Montpelier and Manor Lodge on Nevis.
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Whether your parents would enjoy looking for playful monkeys, or eating in an ancient sugar mill ruin, Nevis has a lot to offer!