Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - any recommended guest houses or b&b's with kitchen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are headed to Bermuda for 3 nights in a couple of weeks and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for either a guest house or b&b with kitchen. The hotels are too expensive for us.
We would like to make picnic lunches and take them to the beach on our mopeds, then home for a drink and a bbq and watch the sun set. Maybe one or two nice meals out.
I have looked at a couple of web sites - bermudarentals.com and rentalo.com can you suggest any other web sites or agencies to look at? I hope someone can help me. Thanks
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Hi jbeez, We stayed at Granaway Guest House in Warwick Parrish in Bermuda last summer. We loved it, and found it much more reasonable than most hotels on the island. We stayed in the cottage, which has it's own kitchen. This allowed us to do some grocery shopping and we even bbq'ed at the inn one night. www.granaway.com
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM

We recently returned from a long weekend doing pretty much the same thing you are looking to do. We stayed at Salt Kettle House in Paget. They have at least 3 apartments/cottages with kitchens and an outdoor BBQ. It's a great little place and you can't beat the price. It's a very popular place (guests that return time and time again), so you typically have to book well in advance but it's worth a shot.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

tpatricco - thanks for the info. Funnily enough I was just looking at Granaway. I don't think the cottage is available, but the rooms are. They don't have kitchen, but do have a fridge and kettle, so maybe we can make do. Especially if there is a bbq we can use - do you remember if they allow that>

t bear - do you have a web site for Salt Kettle House, it also sounds interesting, but can't find a site for it.
Thanks both of you.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:20 PM

We toured this property several years ago to look for a place for a future stay...Garden House in Sandys Parish. Cottages with kitchens in a garden setting near Somerset Bridge. Not sure if they have a web site. 234-1435
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM

JBeez: Stayed in Bermuda last year and loved it. We stayed at Salt Kettle for a few days. Kitchen area is very small - I don't remember if there was much more than a toaster oven and fridge. But we were mainly interested in the fridge for drinks and snacks. They prepare a great breakfast there every morning which is included in your room rate - very hearty and a few choices. We spent the last few days at a guesthouse in Sandy's - she had a little kitchen, again not gourmet but all we needed. I found her place on the web but didn't save the link, however I do have her number since she is also a taxi driver. Evol Simons, 441-235-5540. Her place is on a hillside which is walkable down to the water - great for a nice dip, but no beach. We loved sitting out on the lawn relxing and looking at the water and the view beyond of the other parrishes. We rented a scooter and after getting used to the left side and narrow roads we were fine. Have a great time!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Can highly recommend this site. http://www.bermudagetaway.com/ I have stayed at several of their properties and have found them to be of a high standard with charming owners. Good luck.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM

jbeez, Granaway has hibachi type grills for guests to use. Just buy some charcoal at the grocery store and you're in business! Trish
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I would highly recommend "Clairfont Apartments". When I make my annual trip to Bermuda, this is where I stay. They are reasonably priced, have a full kitchen, are very clean and are in a great location - across the street from some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Their website is: www.clairfontapartments.com. You can also go to: www.bermudatourism.com, select "Where to Stay" and choose from B&Bs, Inns, Cottages/Suites/Apartments, etc. "Clairfont" is listed in the C/S/A section. I know the property well (and also the owner; she lives next door) as I used to live in Bermuda. It is also on a bus route which makes it easy to get around. Reservations are a must. The one year I couldn't get reservations, I stayed at "Salt Kettle" and althogh the property is clean, I found it a little isolated as there is no bus route along Harbour Road. Taxis are pricey. There is also no where to swim close by. It is located on a sheltered inlet close to Hamilton Harbour but the water did not look clean. (Wish I was going with you.)
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:47 AM

We stayed at Dawkins Manor in Paget 441-236-7419. Very clean, nice kitchen, lovely owner, pool, very reasonable. 1 block to grocery store and bus stop. About 4 blocks to a beautiful beach and about 10 min. ride to Hamilton. I would highly recommend it. Email address is [email protected]. Have fun!!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Get on line and see if you can read the Kansas City Star of Sunday August 22 Travel Section. It had a really good article about doing Bermuda on a budget, with information on lodging, eating, getting around by local bus, etc. Very good article and well worth the read if you are headed there.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Check out Rosemont Guest House. Nice gardens, walking distance to all shops, restaurants and public transportation, full kitchens in all the rooms and family run. The pool view rooms have spectacular views of the Hamilton Harbor.