Search

Niagara-on-the-Lake

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Sorry if this question shouldn't be here, but the Canada board is pretty dead.

I'd like to stay at a bed & breakfast a couple nights in Niagara on the Lake. I'm looking for a place under $150.00 a night (Canadian) that is close to the main shopping area, i.e. not tucked far out of the way on its own.

Looking for something other than the common names that pop up like St. Johns Gate and Harbour House. Can someone recommend a lesser known jewel that has a private bath, warm hospitality (without being intrusive) and a delicious breakfast?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM

We stayed at the Old Bank House. It was right across the street from the lake and you could walk everywhere from there. Don't remember what they charged.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I can't get into their web site.

Anyone else have a recommendation?
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Try the Cranberry House. It's on a side street right near the center of town. It's a lovely Victorian house that's been totally renovated inside and is really nice ... the front bedroom has a great bathroom with whirlpool tub.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Jed

There is a long list of B and B's listed by price at http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/ShowActiveMerchant.jsp We stayed at Lakewinds which I can recommend.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM

You could check out a lot of the area's B&Bs on the Shaw Festival website: www.shawfest.com. Just go to "Plan your visit" and then to "bed & breakfasts".

Good luck.

There a re a lot of places to choose from.

Lakewinds as mentioned above is a little pricey, but it is supposed to be beautiful. FYI - It is a member of a group of 3 properties: Brockamour Manor, Lakewinds and Shannaleigh.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
syd

I enjoyed a stay at the Post House B&B last year. (Note: not to be confused with Pillar and Post). I don't remember if it's in the price range that you're looking for. A great location to easily walk to shops, restaurants and the Shaw festival. If you're there in the summer, they have a nice little pool in the courtyard that was an unexpected treat.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Try Angie Strauss's carriage house. It is right around the corner from the Main Street, very private and nice. The kitchen and bathroom are downstairs and the bedroom loft is upstairs. There is even a cute little garden to enjoy. It is priced very reasonablly for what you get and especially the location.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up right now.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

I couldn't find a listing for Angie Strauss Carriage House, only Angie Strauss Gallery and Angie Strauss Fashions. The Lakewinds and Post House were too expensive, $200+.

I know there's tons of listings but any other personal reviews are welcome, good or bad.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM

A"real jewel" is Parliament Cottage B&B circa 1840 which is located within an easy walk of the main area. Charming older home with great hospitality and the BEST breakfasts we've ever experienced in a B&B. Much better priced than any others we have ever found in Niagara (around $100). An understated, comfortable , and interesting property. Host provides quality courtesy bicycles. Found in the Shaw theatre guide. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Babilu, I looked that one up. It looks great for the money. Thanks for the suggestion!