Bantry/Glengarriff accommodation

Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Bantry/Glengarriff accommodation

Looking through accommodation suggestions I came across a B&B in Bantry by the name of Reendonegan House - anyone know of this place? Looks great and a great price but...any other suggestions would be great too. Thanks!
Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Did you know you can actually stay in Bantry House? I haven't been there, I've just been reading Karen Browns and I discovered this. I just think it would very cool to stay in the manor.

http://www.bantryhouse.com/index.html
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi china cat and funny you should mention it but I just discovered that today too! My only hesitation is that there are no photos of the bedrooms. I keep trying to imagine what they would be like and all I keep seeing are rooms with furniture covered with white sheets to keep the dust off and cobwebs everywhere. Sort of like the Addams Family of the Munsters - and yes, I have a very overactive inmagination! We actually did stay in an old castle in France that was owned by a family who were restoring it to its glory and running a B&B to help with the costs. It was so cool even if some of the rooms were closed off and there were bats in the library! It was one of the highlights of our trip so maybe I should check Bantry House out some more. Thanks again. I wonder if Karen Brown actually stayed there? I wonder if there are ghosts!
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Also looking for some info on Reendonegan House – the website looks great, but there is only one review on TripAdvisor, and none of this board….
Thanks

Dec 27th, 2006, 09:08 PM

I stopped by Reendonegan House a couple of years ago but no one was home. The outside of the house was a bit unkempt. I have no idea what the rooms looked like.

I had a look at Bantry House and the rooms were okay. Not to the standards of a place like Glin Castle and not a place that I cared to stay. I understand that Bantry House has had an update since I was there. One thing I did notice at Bantry House was the crazy electrical wiring. It zigzagged up the edges of the stairs and all over the walls. I am not an electrician but think that maybe the wiring would be better placed inside some sort of conduit. Maybe they have addressed that problem during their upgrade also. It is a very old house. If I stayed at Bantry House I would want to know where the nearest fire exit was.
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM

IrishEyes,
Thanks a lot – I guess there’s a reason why there are so few reviews for Reendonegan House

Bantry House looks nice, but it’s above our budget. I will look for another B&B in the area. I sent a few emails, but I guess I will have to wait for after the holidays for a response.

Can you recommend a nice B&B in Bantry, or around? I know…nice….means different things to different people. Clean, friendly owners, good breakfast, quiet, if possible with a view, and no more than 150 euros / night for the two of us.

I am looking at Dromcloc House, Aran Lodge, Cnoc a' Duin B&B and Ard na Greine. Any thoughts on any of them?
Thanks
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Reendonegan House might be perfectly fine inside. I just didn't get the chance to view it. I can't recommend a place in Bantry. How about Skibbereen, Mizen Peninsula or Kenmare? Personally, I really like Kenmare. For such a small town they have a plethora of wonderful places to stay.
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:29 AM

In Sept 2001 we stayed in Ballylicky House which overlooked Bantry Bay but was a bit beyond Bantry House. We did not have time to tour Bantry House but I had read it was better seen as a museum than a place to stay. Ballylickey had lovely gardens with hydrangeas in bloom at the time. I think it may have been an Irish version of the Relais chain.
Dec 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Seaview House is my preferred stop for a moderate priced room. Great location, a hostess with many awards, and a fine chef. Sunday lunch should not be missed at this very comfortable stop in Ballylickey. www.seaviewhousehotel.com
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Before Bantry we’ll be for 3 days in Kenmare – we’ll use those for visiting the Killarney NP, Muckross House and the Beara peninsula.

For Mizen peninsula and the Sheep’s Head, we were looking for something ‘closer’, so we won’t need to back-track each day. Bantry seems a good location for this, and we’re planning 2 nights there.

Anyway, both the Ballylicky House and the Seaview House look great (plus they are more in our budget than the Bantry House). I’ll email them both – we’re going in August. Thanks a lot, this really helped.
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:30 PM

I actually prefer Skibbereen to Bantry. But that is just my personal preference.
Dec 30th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Any B&B that you can recommend in Skibbereen?
Thanks
Dec 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM

xyz99

Skibbereen is a nice place to visit, and has a great supermarket(Field's), but the place to stay in a B&B would a few miles away. Castletownshend has a great stop at Bow Hall. A great coastal location, but no website. One of my favorite restaurants, Mary Ann's, for pub grub. At least drive in there for a relaxing stop. Drive down to the harbour to watch the fishermen bring in Mary Ann's fish.
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM

I stayed at P.K. Lodge and it was very nice; comfortable, clean with friendly hosts: http://www.pklodgecork.com/ It is about a mile from town in a very quiet area. If you stay in the area do visit Castletownshend (watch out for the tree in the middle of the road!) and eat at Mary Ann's Pub as sullivan1212 suggested. I had fantastic banoffee there.
May 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Hi guys,

Had to respond to your comments, I own Reendonegan House and its a pity we missed you on your visit Irish Eyes.
May 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I stayed in alovely B&B in between Bantry bay and Glengarriff about 2 years ago, but I can't for the likes of me me remeber the name of it. It was a lovely place and the people who ran it were great. She had home made baked cakes reday for your arrival and while you unpacked she brought them and a pot of tea to your room.
I am sure I got it from this website
www.cork-guide.ie
The Reendonegan Hosue is on there an you can see pictures of the rooms and the rate sof most of the B&B's on there.
May 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM

oops just noticed the date and how long ago this was silly me should have checked the date first.