Bermuda Anniversary Trip

Sep 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Bermuda Anniversary Trip

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful week in Bermuda. We stayed for the second time at Greenbank Guest Cottages, Salt Kettle, Paget. It's a block from the Salt Kettle Ferry landing which takes one directly to Hamilton. This trip we used the ferries and buses for transportation except for airport and a couple of returns from dinner. They worked so well. We visited the Historical Museum and National Gallery in Hamilton: the Bermuda Underwater Exloration Institute Museum, the Rogues and Runners Museum (formerly the Confederiate Museum), and the Bermuda Perfumery, which has relocated to St George's since our last visit. Good meals at La Trotteria, Portofino, Cafe Gio (St George's), and Hamilton Princess.

We were so glad not to be on a cruise. If you must cruise, try to select one that doesn't dock at The Dockyard. That area, though worth a quick visit, is a bleak concrete wasteland. If I came there on a ship, I'll really feel cheated of what is a beautiful island. While buses, ferries, taxis, and scooters can take you to other areas, why be based at such a bleak place?

This was our fifth trip to Bermuda -- and we're looking forward to our next in four or five years.
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM

Happy anniversary. Tell me a little about your room and the common areas at Greenbank, please. I haven't stayed there but the location is certainly a good one.
Always nice to see a report on my favorite island!
Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

cmcfong, it is a great island, isn't it! Our room at Greenbank, Sunset, was large with a king bed, air conditioned. We had a sliding glass door onto a patio overlooking the bay. Our bath was good with a tub/shower. There was a small, but fully equipped kitchen, where we fixed breakfast every day. There are eight or nine rooms at the location, each with a patio. There are a couple of rooms without kitchens, but they have refrigerators. For those breakfast is served on the patio. There are a common room, WiFi Internet connection (but no public computer), sun loungers on the lawn, and a dock for swimming and sunning. The dock is below the lawn area, so doesn't interfere with the view from the patios. The owners, the Ashtons, are not on site, so they leave you very much on your own, which we like. We enjoyed visiting with the other folks staying there -- Americans and British. We plan to stay there again when we return.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

Yes, the perfect place to celebrate an anniversary. Thanks for the information about the rooms. It is a very good option, I think. Are the Ashtons the same people who own Granaway? If so, I met them years ago when I stayed there.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the Ashtons own Granaway also.

Search this Thread