Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Beachfront in Negril, but NOT an all-inclusive.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:52 PM
steve

Does anyone have an opinion on nice beachfront hotels in Negril that are not all-inclusive mega resorts. My wife and I are staying up in the cliffs but then ending the week down on the beach. Some place mellow, clean, funky, and unique. We don't want to come down from the cliffs for a boring, sterilized atmosphere. We heard the Charela Inn is nice. Any comments?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:36 PM
anon

Try the upstairs verandah suite at Nirvana. Very private with beautiful grounds. Right on the beach very close to the water.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:26 AM
kath

Nirvana would be a good pick, don't know what the rooms are like but the grounds are really, really great. Kuyaba and Idle Awhile are worth a look--they're more intimate/funky than a lot of the beach hotels. Charela has a good location on the beach, and seemed to be a favorite of Europeans and families, so there's the kid alert if it matters to you. This is my own prejudice, but it's in this Spanish-style architecture that just doesn't have the west indian feel that you're probably looking for on a JA trip. Be sure to visit negril.com or jamaicans.com for complete Negril overload before your trip. You'll have a super time.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Eric

Steve,<BR><BR>If you want &quot;mellow, clean, funky and unique&quot; then forget the beach in Negril. Go to Treasure Beach. I just came back from a week in Treasure Beach and week in Negril. Believe me - go to Treasure Beach. We went to Ital Rest and it is just what you describe... I think you will find it very relaxing after the hustle and bustle of Negril. You can check out TB at www.treasurebeach.net<BR><BR>You can get a taxi from Negril to Treasure Beach for about $60 US. But you will save on the room cost once in TB, as excellent cabins there start at about $40 US... Meals in TB are less than half the cost of Negril, and drinks cost next to nothing... <BR><BR>Do it - it will change your life... My wife and I have been to Negril numerous times, and may never go back after visiting Trasure Beach... <BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR>Eric<BR><BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:46 AM
steve

Eric:<BR><BR>Thank you for your advice. My big question about Treasure Beach is how is the water and sand. I should mention that high on our priority list is clear, calm water for snorleling, white sand. Does Treasure Beach offer that?<BR><BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:13 AM
liza

You can be fairly funky in Negril.<BR><BR>I second (or third) the Nirvana recommendation...lovely cottages with cook/maid and 2-3 bedrooms, living room/kitchen/porch area, amazing gardens. The beachfront suites are more $ and have AC and beach view.<BR><BR>Similar feel at Whistling Bird just down the beach, again lovely gardens and cottages...private bar and restaurant (guests and their guests only), very shady and natural beachfront.<BR><BR>Charela is OK but a friend of mine says it is too American in feel...look closely at it....good location though.<BR><BR>If you want to spend $$$, look at Moondance Villas, they are simply amazing.<BR><BR>Another one to check out that gets good reviews is Idle Awhile - they have beachfront suites.<BR><BR>Rondel Village is great too though I haven't seen it since they added another pool and more beachside rooms. I found Whislting Bird and Nirvana to have a more tropical feel though.<BR><BR>All of these have web sites, post if you can't find them.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:17 AM
tivertonhouse

Steve: Sand in TB is darker than Negril;most good snorkeling is done in-shore in the Fort Charles/coves area and also via boat out at Sunny Isle. You WILL find a far less crowded and touristic scene in TB than Negril...

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM
andrea

I have to agree with Liza, Charela Inn is very very nice. Funky it's not.