Search

Point Village Negril

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point Village Negril

My husband has make a hasty decision to book us here for June. Anyone been here? Looks not so great but cheap. Should I convince him to go somewhere else? HELP!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:54 AM

Try to cajole him into taking you to Rockhouse, Xtabi, The Caves or Swept Away instead. PV is ok, and like RIU places, it's cheap, but there are far better choices to be had in Negril
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:37 AM

I stayed at the PV about 8 years ago with 2 friends. For 24 year olds on a limited budget, it was great. But if you're interested in anything posh, or remotely posh, you should consider other resorts. The staff and water sports were amazing. And our room was a 2-story, 2-bedroom beautiful bungalo.

And by all means, don't forget to go to the cliffs to raise a toast to the sunset.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:45 PM

There are two reasons I would advise against Point Village - the beach is small and if you go all the way to Negril for a beach, then stay where the beach is beautiful. If you want rocks, go to the cliffs. Second, I certainly would not do all inclusive in Negril - I have before but know now that it is a mistake. Look at www.negril.com, click on "Where to Stay" and then look at all the choices. For the beach, look at Coco Lapalm - you can get fabulous rate there in June and the beach is great. Look at White Sands and then check out the places on the cliffs. Part of the fun of Negril is strolling the beach checking out differenct restaurants and bars.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Yikes, not exactly strong endorsements.

Our family (5) is planning to go to PV in Negril next February vacation, an all inclusive. Not cheap either--about $6,000 total.

Cartera, why not the AI?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:42 AM

In answer to the question about AI, I was once a big fan of all inclusive - finding it to be a hassle free vacation, not having to deal with money. I have to say that if I had a family of 5, I might still feel that way because of the ability of an all inclusive to satisfy different tastes that a restaurant cannot. So I completely understand why you would choose AI. That being said, I found on my last trip to Negril that we had a great time finding and trying new restaurants, meeting people and staff at the restaurants and getting a taste of the local culture. My daughter is 13 and she loved strolling along the beach for hours peering into places, asking about the food, sampling fruit drinks. All inclusive is quite expensive and the food is not usually very good - you have to drink a lot of alcohol to usually get your money's worth at them.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Cartera.

With youger children, maybe the AI will not be all that bad. My kids seem to have a bottomless pit when it comes to drinks. And, it looks like my wife and I will just have to start our cocktails at noon instead of 5pm!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Good Attitude! I think that for your size family, you have chosen the best deal in jamaica for all inclusive. The only thing that may come close if Negril Gardens - on a better beach but not multiple restaurants and not as many activities. While at PV, walk down or take cab down to check out places like White Sands, Coco Lapalm, Cherela and see if your family likes the area. Take a trip to the cliffs too but don't assume it has to be to Ricks - sometimes way too crowded.