Barbados: questions re South Coast

May 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM
cdt
Original Poster

Barbados: questions re South Coast

We're considering our first trip to Barbados but having a tough time figuring out where to stay.

The West Coast hotels are beyond our budget. There seem to be plenty of affordable places on the South Coast, but I get the impression that it's a rather crowded area. Lots of hotel reviews mention noise problems.

Also, although we realize the water won't be as calm on the S as it is on the W coast, we'd like to avoid big waves if possible.

So how do we find a place on the south coast that's in a halfway quiet area, with halfway calm water? Or is this impossible?
May 21st, 2005, 07:00 PM
browndog

We stayed at The Savannah in Christ Church.We liked it very much.The beach wasn't wonderful but you are right next to Carlise Bay.Also, try www.luxurylink.com they have some great deals on hotels.1/2 of what you wouod normally pay.We loved Barbados.The food was outstanding and the people were so nice.Have a wonderful trip!

May 22nd, 2005, 04:52 AM

Hi cdt

To stay away from noise and have a nice hotel here is my list of recommendations

Turtle Beach: Turtle beach is an elegant resorts all inclusive hotel realy nice surroundings, beach and activities. Should find no noise here

Bougainvillea: Bougainvillea is a beautiful resort the type of place I would like to walk in for a Caribbean holiday. They are only room and board they to have a good beach and the area is not a noisy one.

Coral Sands: This is probably going to be the least expensive of the 3 I have recommended for you. It is very nice clean, coral stone fairly new building. It is set beach in from the road there are allot of other buildings roundabout nothing that should disturb you. There is also a lovely beach in-front and the waves are not usually big at all.

I hope this helps

Beat Regards
Sarah
[email protected]
May 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM

I'd like to ask the reverse - looking for a nice place on the south coast that does have decent sized waves for playing in & boogie boarding. Ideally would like to be able to walk to restaurants. Casuarina looked good, but they are apparently closing. Was thinking about Southern Palms and Coral Mist but open to other ideas. Any suggestions?
May 23rd, 2005, 06:43 AM

Hi jerirl

Truthfully you will have to resort to somewhere like Bouganvilla Turtle Beach or Southern Palms to stay close to the restaurants some days there will be good waves some days mild

The weather and state of the waves acn varry so much at diffrent times of the year and the weather systems in the area.
May 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

You may also try booking through tradewindtours.com We got an excellent deal at the Colony Club, and our Agent Cyralene couldn't have been more pleasant. We leave in less than two weeks--I will post if anything doesn't go smoothly. As a precaution, I called the Colony Club a couple of weeks ago to confirm our reservation. You know, just in case. But I spent a great deal of time looking for the best prices, and if you DON"T have an air inclusive package, theirs were the best. I did see competitive pricing at luxurylink.com and classicvacations.com for air inclusive packages. Also, if you call some hotels with the price you were quoted on a cheaper site, often they will match or beat the price, to book the room themselves. Not true with the elegant hotels group, but might be for another.
May 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I have stayed at the silver rock hotel and the butterfly - neither is great by any means, but they are cheap and safe. I like the butterfly better. Its a shame because it is in a great location and could be really cute. but it does have a pool and is on the water. and its quiet.

I have always stayed at less expensive places there because you can rent a car or even take a bus to the various west coast beaches, plus I would rather spend more on food there. The Cliff is one of my favorite restaurants!
May 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM

cdt, have you looked at rentals vs. hotels? You will find prices less.
Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:27 PM

My wife and I went to Barbados in April and we absolutely loved it. We stayed on the south coast at the Bougainvillea and loved it. We are from New Jersey so for us to say the waves were big there would be a lie. The waves are about 1-2 feet high and occasionally get bigger depending on the weather. I highly recommend this resort as each room has a kitchen area in the room. Very laid back quiet hotel. Can go out to places close to hotel or just hang out at hotel pool bar all night.
Jun 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM

jerirl, for what you want, I would try the Peach and Quiet.

It's on the south coast with prime kiteboarding and windsurfing area right in front.

The hotel itself, while on the water, is on a shoreline that is too rocky for a direct board entry. So a short walk in one direction takes you to launch at the Silver Sands Hotel Beach or, in the other direction to a beach where there is a surfing/boogie boarding school.

I don't recommend the SS Hotel because the rooms are small and musty and the food is awful.

OTOH, Peach and Quiet is pretty, has large rooms, great staff, good food, reasonable prices, honour bar, super pool, and a snorkelling lagoon.

Ask for an upstairs garden view room with a verandah.

Not for those who insist on a/c, TV and in-room phones.

P&Q is a short taxi ride to Oistins (and the hotel driver is very inespensive and reliable)
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:58 AM

I suggest you consider Coral Sands Beach Resort. It is on a very calm beach -- Sandy Beach. Very shallow, turquoise waters that are calm with sandy beach going into the water. Should be perfect. Sandy Beach has the calmest water on the south coast. Also in the stretch is Sandy Beach Resort (being converted into all-inclusive, but this summer it will still be rented out as regular hotel.

Lois