Barbados- Almond Casuarina

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados- Almond Casuarina

Does anyone know the status of the renovations? I'm interested in Dec 24, 2006 - Jan 2 of 2007. Thanks, rob
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:55 AM

At this point they are saying they hope to open sometime this fall. That was after they needed to delay a June 06 compeltion date.

Lois
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:20 AM
MSQ

While I am sure that they will do their very best to be done before the busy christmas season. And the fact that they have already postponed the opening means that they will be able to deliver but I for one wouldnt count on it.

Construction in the Caribbean is not easy and things often take longer than planned. It is my understanding though third hand that the Almond Beach Village in Barbados ran into the same problem this past Christmas as they had undertaken an expantion which they did not have completed on time but had taken bookings nevertheless. Some of those people have posted on TripAdvisor and were not pleased as they got placed at resorts that they thought of as inferior. One can only imagine what is avaiable last minute at Christmas.

They are not the only hotel in the Caribbean to have had this problem, Halfmoon Bay in Jamaica (a hotel I love) ran into the same problem a few years ago as they did not have everything totally done for christmas including their new centre piece pool.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM

Been to Almond Beach twice....last time last summer, before that 3 years earlier. Loved it first time but found it to go downhill on trip last summer! Food was terrible!!!! Beach is smaller, erosion. Staff was no where near as friendily as previous trip. Its a shame because its a great island, great people!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this information. It seems that at least two of the beachfront hotels, (the other being Sandy Bay beach resort) are being renovated with vague re-opening times. So I guess that I'm open to suggestions. The beach out front is most important. The wider and longer the better. Hobie cat availability and beach volleyball is important. If its near St Lawrence Gap, it doesn't need to be all-inclusive. Oh yes, a bar or two on the beach is a big plus! I am very happy to have discovered this site. I am impressed by your knowledge and willingness to share. Thanks, Rob
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM

Rob do you have your heart set on Barbados?? or open to other islands? traveling with family or as a couple? I asked because Couples in Negril Jamaica is awesome!!!! meets your needs for beach, sports,beach bars, plenty of beach to walk too.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

Sorry to jump in on this post, but we are contemplating going to Barbados but Negril is our 2nd choice. We've been to Jamaica before, but never Negril. The main reason we are debating is because we like the look of the Couples resorts and the flight is WAY shorter from Texas. Any comparison you could provide on these 2 islands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

gottagoaway, thanks, We are still flexible. Our criteria is beach first, must be wide and long, with Hobie Cats available. Next is the island, must have mountains, places to see, tropical vegatation. Next is food, music, nightlife, bars on the beach, and friendly people. Next is Hotel room. You expect it to be clean. You expect it to be secure.
We considered Negril but were scared off by reports that it wasn't safe. We also considered Grenada.
We kind of landed on Barbados because of St Lawrence Gap. It sounds like fun and seems safe. Our group consists of me and my wife, and kids aged 17 to 22.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I would jump on a plane now if I could to go back to Negril, Couples!!! Been to other side of Jamaica, hated it! (Ocho Rios) but LOVE Negril! Beach is to die for, plenty to do! I have NO complaints at all from Couples. I travel alot and highly recommend it! Been to Barbados twice, There are other things to do, just like on St Lucia but beach is not even close to Negril. However, Alomond Beach, Barbados has snorkeling right off the hotel beach, thats a plus if you don't mind terrible food! (been there twice) If you are traveling as a couple, you won't go wrong with Couples Negril. Skip Curacao, Antigua is nice, beach, people were the nicest on any island I visited. Aruba , beach (Palm) is nice,
but I won't go there because of their dealing with the NH case,
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Rob you can do the zipcord over the rainforest in Jamaica is that enough activity? lol