Caribbean Wedding...

Jan 29th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Caribbean Wedding...

My fiance and I are looking to get married in the caribbean and we would like an all inclusive resort. I have never been to the caribbean and my fiance has been to St. Lucia. We have been looking at the Beaches/Sandals resorts but are open to other suggestions. The resort for the wedding will have to allow children but then we will probably go to another resort for the honeymoon. I have lots of questions but my main question is for anyone that has gotten married in the Caribbean. Any advise on what to look for. I don't want a cheesy or tacky wedding so I'm not sure about Beaches. Any other AI suggestions? How was your experience...etc.
Jan 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM

hi jinxy, congratulations1! as you are planning there are several things to keep in mind. most islands are in foreign countries and have varying requirements to grant a license. some with large fees, some that require you be on the island for a given period of time in order to apply, or medical tests. to avoid any of these issues you can choose any usvi, puerto rico or jamaica.
depending on your dates high and low season prices may effect where you go. everyone should have/get passports. if ppl are traveling from various locations in the US you might want to consider islands with non-stop flights from as many places as possible, especially if some of your guests are older or have small kids. generally speaking the further north the island the less the airfare.
every island has wedding planners. almost every resort does as well. they are really helpful. if you travel with a large group the resort may give you a group discount. or a travel agent could book for everybody and get some sort of deal.
after the wedding do you want to travel to another island or just change to an adults only?
a gf was married this spring at the wyndham sugar bay (ai) on st. thomas. we had a wonderful time and the bride was completely pleased with everything. they went to couples swept away on jamaica for their honeymoon. easier would have been to take the ferry to st. john or the bvi's for the honeymoon imho. air between islands can be difficult, possibly sending you back to maimi or san juan to make the trip.
another friend married at couples on jamaica and honeymooned right there. loved it. but they took no guests as it is adults only.
you may want to think about which island will offer your guests something to do off the property (golf, parasailing, etc). also what can everyone afford? how long will everyone stay?
my advise is to first choose an island that you like the looks of, then find a resort that fits your group.
and i would not be comfortable at a beaches for my wedding either.
Feb 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM

My daughter was married at Sandlas Royal Bahamian and we have been to almost all of the Sandals Resorts. Any of the Sandals would be agreat choice. They have a Beaches just down the road from Sandals Nergil. Awsome beach at this resort and the most laid-backb Sandals.Any ?s feel free to email me [email protected].
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM

You might want to look in the Couples resorts. There are 4 of them on Jamaica and they are for couples only, but you can have children attend your wedding.

The Couples resorts are very romantic all-inclusives, and their website has a lot of information from past and present guests who have married there.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM

My daughter was married at a Sandals Resort in the carribean and it was beautiful. They did everything for us we just showed up and it was wonderful. Of course we had the final say but they put it together for us and it could not have been more perfect. Ck out the Sandals Resorts ...
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:44 AM

My husband and I got married in Antigua in 2003. With 40 guests ages 6 months to 70 years old, we chose the Long Bay Hotel which was small enough that we could take over the whole place for just the wedding party. We invited our guests for the long weekend of Friday-Monday, but a few of them decided to fly down early with us.

Antigua is an easy island to get married on, as there is no real waiting period. That said, I was very glad to have arrived on a Wednesday for a Saturday wedding. We had the first day to relax and then the second day we went into town to fill out the forms. on Friday we went back into town to pick up the forms after the gov't had done whatever checking it does of documents. Then the next day we were married. It was both beautiful and casual--all day long the hotel staff busied themselves adding greenery and flowers to the beach gazebo where the ceremony was to be. About 2 hours before the ceremony, I glanced over my rum punch to my fiance and we decided it was about time to go shower & get ready.

After sitting down with the hotel owner and the woman who runs the front desk, we decided to get a local church choir to provide music during the sunset ceremony and we planned for hors d'oeuvres and cocktails immediately after, followed by a beach BBQ dinner. Music after the ceremony was provided by a trio who played the usual calypso & reggae along with some jazz and big band standards.

Just about any island can make your wedding dreams come true. Just figure out your budget--are you paying for the guests? If not, then consider keeping the budget down for their sakes. St. Lucia is a very expensive island to fly to, for example. Figure out what kind of island backdrop you prefer, what size resort and with what amenities you desire, and then ask us some specific questions for recommendations. Above all, have fun! The best reason for getting married in the Caribbean is for leaving all of the planning to others so you can enjoy the time leading up to the wedding. It's relatively stree-free.
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:31 AM

My son and his wife had their wedding at the Our Lucaya resort on Grand Bahama Island. It was all taken care of by a wedding coordinater they used via the resort and it was excellent in every respect. We also had a large group of about 40 people that attended and all stayed in the resort. It would be a good choice too I think.