Do I need a passport for Aruba?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Do I need a passport for Aruba?

DH and I are going to Aruba in April for 5 days. I had a passport years ago, but I have no idea where it went and it would be expired by now anyways.

Do I need to get a new one now? Should I rush it so it's here in time? Or can I just use a birth certificate and driver's license? Thanks in advance.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Yes, you will need a passport. Depending on when in April you are going, you might have enough time, but if it were me, I would get the expedited service just to be safe.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:57 PM

No you don't need a passport until next year. I am also going to Aruba in April and checked with AAA Travel and on the internet. As of Jan. 2007 you will need a passport.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM

I had checked one site listing Aruba entry requirements, and it said that a passport is required. The regulations that go into effect in 2007 are US requirements, and other countries are free to impose their own entry requirements before that date. In checking another site, Aruba does still permit an original birth certificate AND a photo ID, so you will not need a passport. I apologize for the incorrect info in my earlier post.
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:17 AM

A passport is NOT required...YET. And this is per the U.S. State dept. It is however preferred over birth certificate with government/federal photo ID. The passport will be required as of Dec. 31, 2006.
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Well this is interesting. Because I was obviously very confused.

My thinking was that on Jan 1, 2006 all US travelers would have to travel with a passport. With the exception of travel to Mexico or Cananda, which would change on Jan 1, 2007.

Now in looking at the state pages it seems this has all been changed.

But I thought I remembered just recently reading that travel to and from Jamaica requires a passport. But in looking at the state site it says the birth certificate, etc is sufficient.

Several sites and conflicting info.

Since I travel with a passport, I had not visited this subject until recently. I assumed my daughters would need a passport prior to our Jamaica trip. Darn, I think I will just get it anyway, since I keep thinking I know something that I don't!.