Back from Grand Caymans!

Search

Back from Grand Caymans!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from Grand Caymans!

Went to GC from Sun. thru Wed. Had a good flight. USairways. First class. Smooth ride to and from.
Stayed at Royal Reef Resort. Booked with them online right through their website. Had oceanview room.All are oceanview rooms. Ours was smack dab in front of the pool area. It was a clean resort..except for a butt thong found in the palm tree! I almost died! It was funny but disgusting. Anyway...
room was average. Had a microwave..toaster..mini fridge..and utensils and dishes.
Drawbacks.
No maid service except Wed. and Sat. They will NOT clean rooms every day.,,which I thnk is disgusting. We couldn't get clean towels for the room. It took 2 days before we got them!! I couldnt believe it. They supplied 1 roll of tp..You thnk they would give you another roll !LOL
another drawback..If you didn't do YOUR OWN DISHES at checkout..You will be charged 75.00 for NOT doing them before departure!!
That is nuts to me!! A good hotel would have the maid do them. I wasn't there to clean the room on my vacation.
The reef obviously had alot of reefy beach areas ..Wear your wet shoes. All rocky and hard. This is our second time to the GC> This hotel was on the other side of the islands. about 45 minutes from town.which was fine. We wanted peace and quiet.
We did go to a Butterfly farm, which was truly neat. It had butterflies from all over the world..and they breed them right there..
another thing was the Botanical Gardens. Lush tropical gardens and ponds and beautiful scenery abuot 45,000 acres!!to peruse! It was a bit hot..90s all week...but cooled down to 75 degrees at nightfall.
Nopt many bugs there..but bring the can of off........I still managed to get bit by a few.
Went to tortuga rum factory. Loaded up on the rum cakes..and bought rum for only 7 bucks a bottle!!
Did a boat ride..called the JOLLY ROGER. I twas really fun! was 2 1/2 hrs. for 40.00 cayman islands money. The guys were fun to be with..and we had horsdoerves and cocktails...
If you have a chance go to the blowholes on the north side of the island. It was amazing to see!!!!!!!!!
I would not IN ANY WAY stay at the Royal reef EVER AGAIN!! I cant believe a room cannot be cleaned..We paid alot of money..and were disappointed that they couldnt clean the rooms! nor get towels in a timely manner!!!!!
Watch out for the land crabs..We had a first floor room and one knocked at our door at nite around 3am..lol..my husband threw it into the bushes!lOL!!
I thnk were going to the turks and caicos again like we did last yr. It was quiet but the water was MUCH better.. the water ended up being pretty murky in the caymans..due to some storms they had overnite..turks has much better water and sand is soooo soft in T & C.......
the natives are super friendly on the cayman islands..but i wasnt too impressed with the water as I was in the turks!! live and learn...................
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems you had.
Interesting, I looked thru the archives here at Fodor's and there's not a single person who has stayed at this timeshare/condo and reported about it. You're the first.
Buyer beware, I suppose.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 02:17 PM

Timeshares do not clean the rooms everyday, nor change the towels,etc.

You did get a kitchen-oceanfront for the price of a hotel-it would have been good for b'fast & lunch if you wanted to just hang around.

We have been in timeshares where you have to strip the beds,etc. before you leave. I would still like it.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:12 PM
honeymooner14

What is a land crab?

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Land crabs crawl on land..not in water..(to honeymooner)for some reason there were TONS and I mean TONS in the middle of the roads crawling across the roads...It was quite strange.....
Morritt's tortuga club next door to us looked nice.. Maybe well try there next time!!
but its on to the turks!
thanks for the responses!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 10:28 AM

I can't believe you would be concerned about a clean towel every day, what did you do with them to get them dirty?
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

keegam:
Do you like clean underwear?
Sorry. I like clean towels! Its usually NORMAL for the maid to come in and clean a room! where I have stayed in the past.
Ask a dumb question. get a dumb answer
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Most hotels today have signs in the rooms asking you to conserve energy. They ask you to hang the towels up and reuse them, if you want fresh, leave them on the floor. This happens everywhere I have been lately.
Ronnie