Babymoon- where to go

Sep 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Babymoon- where to go

My husband and I are trying to plan one last getaway before we have our baby in February. I am planning on traveling in November- early December at the latest. My husband isn't sure how much i'll be up to- but i'm optomistic. It will just be for 3-4 nights in the carribean.

I was thinking of turks and caicos or jamaica. I really wanted st. lucia but i think that's too active a vacation for what i want to do when i'm there. I'm planning mainly on being on the beach- but exploring one day. If i went to jamaica i want to go to the falls in ocho rios- has anyone who done this think that would be doable pregnant. We are normally very active- outdoors adventure type stuff. Is there anything to do on turks & caicos besides diving. That seems big there. Do any hotels have snorkelling off of them.

I've been to cancun, puerto vallarta, bahamas and a number of other islands on cruises. Also- will the weather- water be good there. Any recommendations would be appreciated- this isn't our normal type vacation so i'm at a bit of a loss- or if you think another place might be better. Thanks!
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM

We went to PR. Easy to get to & lots to do.
Sep 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I have been to St. Lucia and T&C (Provo) and loved them both, but they are completely different types of islands. Normally, I would recommend St. Lucia for someone with your interests. A couple of caveats here: 1) I'm female but have never experienced pregnancy and 2) I'm very content to spend most of my vacation just sitting on the beach reading, swimming a little bit, walking/running on the beach, doing a little shopping, and eating out, and IMO, T&C is a perfect place for that kind of relaxing vacation. The beach and water there are among the best in the world, and there is decent snorkeling right off the beach near the Coral Gardens resort on Grace Bay Beach. You can stay elsewhere and still snorkel there. For exploring, most people either do a boat tour and/or rent a car and drive to some of the other beaches and less developed parts of the island. I was too mesmerized by the water on my first trip to stray from GBB, but when I go back, I will definitely explore one day.

In terms of St. Lucia, I think a pregnant woman could enjoy the island (it really is beautiful with mountains, rainforests etc.), but you would have to limit what you do (for instance climbing the Pitons or some of the more physically challenging rainforest hikes would be out). There are lots of really nice day long tours that are a combination of air-conditioned bus and boat that allow you to see the beauty of the island and many of the attractions, without being too taxing physically (some walking only). Another thing to consider with St. Lucia is the distance and time (air and on-ground). Depending on where you are coming from, which airport in St. Lucia you fly into, and where you are staying, you can easily spend a whole day traveling each way, so that would be a consideration for me for a 3 - 4 night trip.

November still is hurricane season in the Caribbean. While the chances of a storm hitting any particular destination are small, it still is a risk. You can always get trip insurance to mitigate that. I like traveling in early to mid December because relative to later in the winter, there are less crowds and lower prices.
Sep 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I don't know where you're flying from but I'd pick a quick and non-stop destination.. for your own physical comfort.

I'd advise against St. Lucia. It's a beautiful island with too many things to see and do. 3-4 days would not do it justice.

T&C: There's a reef in front of Coral Gardens. The Turks & Caicos Club is also nearby (a more upscale resort). Provo is all about relaxation (swimming, reading on the beach, eating well). If this is your first baby, not a bad thing to look for. Trust me.

Ocho Rios: Check out the Jamaica Inn. It has great reviews. Would love to stay there one day. We have not done those particular falls so I can't offer advice on those.

Good luck.
Sep 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far- i think travel time for st. lucia sounds like too much- I definitely want one flight spend the most time relaxing. I know i'd need more time in st. lucia. I think Jamaica is out- i had a friend tell me the climbing of the falls has high potential of falling- i don't need to go into labor in Jamaica!

T&C sounds good- but i'm worried about the hurricanes- i never have good luck w/weather- even if it's the end of the season. Any other location suggestions?
Sep 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM

I definitely would skip climbing the falls pregnant...you need your balance as it is, and when you are pregnant, your balance is different.

We went to Cozumel when I was 28 weeks pregnant and we had a blast. It was a short 2 hour flight from Houston and I don't think I could have been any longer on the plane without going nuts from being uncomfortable. Once there, I did not limit my activites...I swam, danced, hiked and did lots of sightseeing. I even climbed 152 steps up a lighthouse with a heavy backpack on. As long as you are healthy and stay very well hydrated, you should be fine.

I told my doctor I was going to Mexico and all he said was, "Do you want some antibiotics to take to ward off traveler's diarrhea?". I said yes, took the pills and was fine.

Good luck and have fun!
Sep 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
KVR

Just something to think about and do some research on before making a final decision. Many airlines have restrictions on pregnant women flying in their 3rd trimester especially out of the country. Getting travel insurance will also be a problem. Consult your doctor and check it out.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Don't knoeck Jamaica out. Maybe just wait till another visit to do the falls. Check out the Caves in Negril. It is the most romantic place I have ever been. Really a beautiful small resort. You could always pick a different excursion in Jamaica. There are also different falls. If the price is too high, check out Tensing Pen or Rockhouse. Wonderful resorts.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

I spoke to my Doctor- she had no problem travelling till 34 weeks and i'm going to try to bump it up to earlier in November- hopefully won't have any hurricane problems! I'm leaning towards T&C- maybe save Jamaica for getaway after the baby next year when i can do the falls. When i keep talking about excursions- my husband is not so interested- thinking i'm not going to be up to it. So- i'm looking for a great hotel and pool. We really LOVE a lazy river at the hotel. I can just float around w/my big stomach. I haven't been able to find any in T&C- anyone know of any- or anywhere else in the Carribean or Mexico (east coast) maybe Carmel- though i would like to avoid Cancun or Puerto Vallarta- been to both in the last few years. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM

Don't want to discourage you but, my wife's an obgyn. Assuming everything is normal with your pregnancy, she'll normally advise travel up to 32 weeks. After that, there is a risk of pre-term labor. She won't stop her patients from going but she would let them know that they are at a greater risk of having their kid in the Caribbean.

One of our ob/gyn friends was also on a plane (headed to Aruba) where a woman went into pre-term labor (she was asked to assist). They had to divert the plane to Puerto Rico. Passengers weren't happy. You don't want to be that woman.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM

I traveled during all my pregnancies (3)at 30-33 weeks. I agree that the earlier the better, especially if this is your first. I can remember being in the Bahamas at 33 weeks and getting out of breath quickly on those beach walks or snorkel outings. Remember that you will not feel like you do now, so I think you are smart in finding a nice resort with pools,etc. I've heard Beaches in T &C is a fantastic resort, and there should not be too many families there during that time of year. Oh, the Bahamas trip was to The One and Only Ocean Club. It is down the beach from the Atlantis and you have full access to the atlantis pools, rivers, etc. It was a great small resort with all the action a quick ride or walk away. It was a great place for a babymoon as it gave us a quiet, romantic, beautifulresort, beautiful private beach, and lots of action at the Atlantis if we wanted. We went in Nov. It may be what you are looking for. They certainly have lazy rivers and your husband may enjoy all the water slides. We still need to return so I can try some of them.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM

Hi & Congrats! Have done the falls....they suggest doing them with shoes as i did, it does get slippery & than there's the climbimg??I would'nt chance it myself but it would be your call.... if it's going to be only 3-4 day's why not relax & enjoy your hubby & surroundings! before life gets busy! Good Luck!
Oct 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

We are going to travel no later than my 28th week so i think we should be fine. Anyone have any hotel recommendations for a pool w/a lazy river in T&C where i can float around on my tube- i thought the sands might be it- but they don't...
Oct 5th, 2007, 03:29 AM
KVR

Not familiar with any hotels in T & C with a lazy river. T & C is more known for their beaches and not their pools.

Look at the Wyndham Rose Hall and Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica or the Atlantis hotel in Nassau, Bahamas.