Should we go to St. Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife to be and I are trying to plan are honeymoon. WE have embraced teh idea of couple only resorts. Looking on the internet it seems that St. Lucia is a great destination. It also seems that Sandals Regency is probably one of the best. Since it is our honeymoon we do not mind spending extra money, but we really don't want to pay for something we will not use or enjoy. I have traveled all through Mexico and Central America. I have never been to the Carribean. Any advise would be appreciated
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:54 AM

That resort is awsome one of our favorites. We celebrated our 25th Anniversary at that Sandals. The night of our Anniversary we took a Dinner Cruise it was super "a must". Also the Day Sail was a blast a must, just take sunscreen. We have been to pretty much all of the Sandals properties, so if you have any ?'s feel free to email me direct @ [email protected] You will love that resort!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM

My husband and I went to St Lucia in '03 and '04 and stayed at the Regency. Personally, we loved it, but some people hate it. I think you have to like all inclusive. If you do, you will not have a problem with Sandal's. We never met anyone there that was having a bad time or had multiple complaints. We liked the Regency because it is large and hilly. You can take a shuttle to get from one end to the other if you do not want to walk. They run very frequently.

The beaches in St Lucia are darker sand and for the most part, not very clear. Obviously, some are better than others. The beach at the Regency is small and can get rather rough, they wont let you go in the water when it is rough, about half of the days we were there this last time. The beach at the Grand is much nicer, calm and has more water sports. That said, I still like the Regency better. You can also shuttle to the other resorts very easily for restaurants etc. We met quite a few who would go to the Grand for the day at the beach. It is just a matter of taste. We don't mind losing the nicer beaches for the other things that St Lucia has to offer. A lot of the island is undeveloped and has a definite "Caribbean" feel to it. Lots of local flavor. There are a ton of things to do there. If you are interested in any of that, let me know. Check out stlucia.org and sunlinktours.com for more ideas. One last thing, if it is the beautiful white sand beaches you are looking for, take St Lucia off your list.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I read your post and waited a minute to think about how I wanted to say this. So...Sandals has a couples- only policy which is great when you're on your honeymoon, but what are you looking to do? There are so many opportunities for adventure and fun throughout the Caribbean, but I wouldn't include St. Lucia on that list. I think Sandals Antigua is more romantic. If sight-seeing lures you, I would also pick Antigua. You can swim, snorkel, wind surf and enjoy other watersports better on Antigua. The food is better, the beaches are better and it's an enjoyable place to stay.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM

knowing,

I have to respectfully disagree with you. "There are so many opportunities for adventure and fun throughout the Caribbean, but I wouldn't include St Lucia on that list". St Lucia has a wealth of things to do and explore. I will list just a few. Rainforest safaris, rainrorest hikes, ATV's, horseback riding, day sails to Soufriere and the Pitons, botanical gardens, volcano, trips to Martinique and the Grenadines, Castries Market, duty free shopping, deep sea fishing, party cruises, Marigot Bay, do I need to go on?

Back to the Sandal's issue. If you enjoy cocktails while on vacation, you will get more for your buck. The seafood department is lacking if you like lobster, oysters etc. Think they had escargot at La toc.

I have not been to Antigua to comment on, but wouldn't be surprised if the beaches are nicer. That is not the draw to St Lucia.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM

For a wonderful introduction to the Caribbean, I'd suggest going to Barbados. It has some of everything any island can offer except for gambling and a volcano. Lovely people, lush green tropical setting, clean air, pure water, wide range of hotels, beaches, water sports, sightseeing such as caves, tropical gardens, animal preserves, plantation houses, submarine ride. Outstanding restaurants, both in hotels and independent. All revolves around a British/Caribbean culture so you don't feel like you're just in tropical America. Barbados is a really special place with a strong economy, not dependent only on tourism, so a visitor experiences a sense of a place which is beyond just a resort on a beach. Generally avoid August-October (hurricane season). Otherwise weather is great all year-perpetual summer with water temps over 80 deg. even in winter. Lowest hotel rates are mid-April to mid-December, with a big jump in high season. Calmest water for swimming/snorkeling is on the calm
west coast north of Bridgetown. IMO the best hotel on that stretch is Coral Reef Club. Family-owned for 50 years, low-rise and plantation cottage style hotel in tropical gardens and fine beach. See www.barbados.org and
www.coralreefbarbados.com
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Sandal's Grande is by far the nicest Sandal's on the Island!!!!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM

brenandg, we have have our own opinions and I merely stated mine. This couple is in the process of planning their honeymoon and I was sharing my own experience. A honeymoon is such a special time. There were a number of people besides us that were not happy at any of the Sandals in St. Lucia. In fact, one couple asked for their money back. I, along with others had numerous complaints. We got hit up by the shuttle driver for tips. Remember the no-tipping rule at Sandals? And, believe me, we tipped regardless - and very well. On my honeymoon, the beach was important to us. St. Lucia can't offer what other islands can. The food was edible, but that was about it.
Perhaps what I should have said was that activites were better on other islands. I admit most people that are interested in a rain forest would probably choose St. Lucia. But not everyone enjoys hiking. The ATV's are better in Kauai and the big island offers great volcanoes, horseback riding and sailing can be done anywhere as can visiting other islands, the shopping is better in Antigua as is the deep sea fishing. Party cruises are exceptional in Jamaica.
So, that is just my own opinion that I found activities to be better elsewhere.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM

knowing,

You are right, we are entitled to our own opinions. My statement to you had absolutely nothing to do with Sandal's. Some people love Sandal's, others don't. I also never disputed that the beaches aren't the best in STL. This couple was inquiring about STL and I was merely pointing out that there are a wealth of things to do there, just depends on your likes/dislikes. Guess that is up to them to decide. Also, we have been at Sandal's 3 times, (Negril, St Lucia) and we were never once asked for tips.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I went to St. Lucia on my honeymoon stayed at a spot based on convenience and specific somewhat limiting funds. If you have some more funds to use - these are my STRONG recommendations for places to stay.

Jalousie Hilton - we visited because itis so highly regarded...and it deserves to be...has a white sand beach which is a shock on this island...and the waters surroundign the hotel are actually a reservation area - I am sure I am not saying this correctly but it is so crystal clear taht we sat on the pier and watched ridiculously extravagant fish swim by like it was nothing as they are protected waters.

Ladera - I gather it shares the hillside with Hilton??? Supposedly fantastic.

Anxe Chastnet - friends have gone there and it knocked their socks off - best snorkeling on the island I gather.

If you go to Castries be careful - all other spots on the island are lovely and friendly - but we foudn quite the opposite in Castries - wouldn't be caught dead there again.

Have a blast and have a drink a marigot bay?? Happy HOur with the boats arriving lovely.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM

If you want a relaxing tropical honeymoon, by all means, go to St. Lucia! There certainly are islands with more pristine beaches and/or shopping, but St. Lucia is still a gem. We went on our honeymoon and planning another trip this spring. We stayed at Ladera for 3 nights and the Regency for 4 nights. The Grande may be nicer for STANDARD rooms, but if rooms are important to you (which they were for us on our honeymoon), the suites at the Regency are far superior! We were in one of the honeymoon suites with plunge pool and it was very private. The problem with the Grande is that everything seems so close together, whereas the better suites at the Regency are spread throughout the property, so you won't get the pool and bar noises.

I highly recommend the combination of Ladera first and Sandals second to get the best of both worlds - serene privacy and then a large all-inclusive resort.

We had a great time doing a few day trips, but most people at Sandals stay on-property, so you should have a great time with all of the amenities. Food could have been better, but staff was great.

I hope you have a wonderful time, regardless of your decision!