St. Lucia family vacation

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Lucia family vacation

Hi,
I have been reading about St. Lucia in this forum and we are thinking of staying at the Jalousie. My question is this: is it really as amazing as it sounds? Is there really horseback riding on the beach that even a 9 year old could do? And the tram above the rainforest canopy and the ATV through the forest, not to mention waterfalls and volcano. It sounds like there is so much to do and I want to be sure because all five of us (my husband, myself and our three kids ages 13, 11 and 9) are extremely fair skinned and can't soak up the sun all day. We need activities to do during the day so we can go to the beach after 2:00. This is why I chose St. Lucia.
Also - the Royal by Rex and the Windjammer look so nice but I get the feeling they are not nearly in the same class as the Jalousie. Has anyone stayed there? Any comments?
Thank you so much,
Amy
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Hi, Amy--

First of all, let me just say that the Jalousie Plantation on St. Lucia is the most stunning piece of real estate I've ever laid eyes on. Smack between the Pitons that rise sharply out of the beautiful sea, you feel utterly in Paradise.

St. Lucia overall offers a ton of things to do for the active family, many of which you mentioned, but I'm certain that you can't ride horseback on Jalousie's beach. The "Drive-In" volcano as it's touted is sort of interesting from a geological point of view, but the sulphur there makes it rather stinky and visually it's dull compared to St. Lucia's other natural splendors.

Don't worry about being fair skinned. Even if you didn't want lots of activities, the Jalousie has plenty of thatched huts on the beach to provide protection from the sun. I didn't want to visit the Caribbean at all for my first trip. I only went as a concession to my husband, and Jalousie is where we ended up. Based on that first visit, I'm now completely obsessed with the Caribbean in general and travel there as often as time and budget will permit. There are lots of shaded public areas, too, and chances are excellent that the plunge pools of your villas (definitely stay in those, not the Sugar Mill rooms!) will also be shaded at some point during the day.

There is some nice snorkeling right off the beach at Jalousie at the base of one of the Pitons. Do this in the morning before 11:00. You might want to consider taking snorkel shirts along with you that will protect against the sun in the water as well as when you're hiking or out & about on the island.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

ejcrowe,
Thank you for all your advice!!
I really appreciate it!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:33 AM

The location of Jalousie is stunning and the snorkelling better than at the Royal or at Windjammer. That said, your restaurant options are limited at Jalouise whereas if you stay at the Royal you are within walking distance of quite a few places.

I too am fair skinned and have to be careful of the sun. However, like you I stay out of it when it is strongest and find other stuff to do. i like windsurfing on slightly cloudy days and scuba on sunny days!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Hello Caribbean Lover,
From your post it seems that you have visited and/or stayed at the Royal, the Jalousie and the windjammer. If so, what would you recommend for us? We want to be at the nicest accomodation that has at least a few restaurants with acitivites for the whole family. We usually stay at Four Seasons Resorts so our expectations are a bit high. . .
Thanks so much!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM

There are other dining options not too far from Jalousie, such as Dashene at the Ladera Resort in the mountains, Anse Chastanet, Hummingbird and there are some new restaurants just opened in Soufriere. You won't be disappointed.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

bajangirl,
Thank you for the restaurant suggestions!
Any other info you have would be greatly appreciated. You seem to know a lot about the island.
Any advice as to excursions?
And could you please tell me what is so bad about the drive from the airport to the resorts? There are so many posts complaining about it! Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM

Yes, I agree with the restaurant rec of Dasheene at Ladera for a nice meal, but it's best if you go before sunset so that you can enjoy the view to its best advantage.

I've never eaten there, but the restaurant at Stonefield Villas, also located directly about Jalousie on the mountainside, might also be a good option.

I think your kids would really enjoy the entertainment literally next door at Bang Between the Pitons--you can walk there from Jalousie. Wednesday night is the jump-up with live music, stilt walkers, flame dancers and other entertainment. Some of it is a little hokey, but a lot of it was fun as I recall. There used to be a prix fixe for a 3 course meal for the jump up night but that may have changed.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - that sounds like a lot of fun!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:19 PM

The snorkel shirts mentioned above by ejcrowe are an excellent suggestion. They are usually called "rash guards" and come in long or short sleeves. They really do provide excellent UV protection! Some of the children's ones are quite cute!