Search

Aruba vs. Curacao?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aruba vs. Curacao?

Both islands are showing great deals from Miami on Expedia. What are the merits of one over the other? We like exotic dining, exploring, great beaches and feeling safe when we explore at night.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Aruba is the safer of the two islands, though Curacao isn't really "unsafe". Aruba has the nod for more interesting places to explore; Aruba is better for beaches but does get windy. Dining is surprisingly good on both islands but hardly exotic, and Aruba is very much Americanized on that front. But Curacao doesn't have the huge line of dozens of giant hotels and time-share properties, and that alone makes it more interesting to me. If you're into diving or snorkeling opportunities, then Curacao wins hands down. Aruba is better for nightlife, expecially the beer and tequila-swilling kind.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Sorry, I mis-wrote. Curacao is much more interesting historically and has much more to explore on that front.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Aruba is more of a place where people drink to their heart's content and party more. If you enjoy fast food there's plenty of it as well as (depending on where you stay) you may be able to walk to some restaurants, spectacular beaches and you will feel safe in the evening.
In Curacao, you have restaurants like Hooks Hut. Imagine the feel of sand under your feet, the sound of waves and the taste of fresh seafood.
Very romantic dining with a table on the sand, complete with candles and torches. There is so much to see: visit the Curacao Museum, Christoffel Park, Sea Aquarium, Hato Caves, etc. you can choose what type of beach you like between intimate rocky coves surrounded by massive cliffs or the long sandy ones. We went into the downtown area at night and never felt unsafe.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. You completely answered my question. I swill Tequila in the comfort of my own home; prefer to go on vacation for sightseeing, adventure,and eating.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Curacao is definitely more interesting. Aruba has a very developed tourism infrastructure, but pretty much geared to the unsophisticated tourist. The main difference is the beaches. Aruba has long stretches of beach while Curacao has "cove" like beaches. The main town in Curacao is fascinating. The service staff at the hotels while friendly, are still developing their skills so you might find service a little muddled in Curacao. I would definitely go back.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Hold off a moment. there are 8-19 good to very good restaurants in Cuacau and most are equal or less in price. The island is less honkey tonk as well. The WEST End has some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean now. You do need a car a mid-size woill do. for taxis are expensive. See Curacao thread for dining and snorkeling spots and points of interest. We visited Curacao 3 times in 4 years.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM

We have been to both twice. We have had a wonderful time at both!
Exposure to tequila swilling sorts can be reduced by your selection of resorts and dining/nightlife. I prefer the long Eagle Beach to the pretty little Curacao beaches as I like the freedom to swim without watershoes and especially enjoy long walks. We found Curacao pretty rocky. As far as basing my choice on adventure, I would choose another island entirely. Bonaire for snorkling and/or scuba if you are thinking summer and ABC islands. My son and husband are divers and thought it was pretty mediocre in Curacao. (Weather plays a part of course.)They didn't even bother in Aruba. I would consider somewhere else entirely if you are into nature and hiking. Safety?
Both seemed safe though we found ourselves in some "shadowy" spots in Wilmstadt and felt a bit comfortable -daytime. Exotic dining?? Enjoyable dining definitely, but exotic? What's that?
You may also want to consider the drinking water and likelihood of travel problems out of Curacao's airport if unexpected extra nights would be a problem for you.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Ok. This is why I should preview.
"Uncomfortable..."