Aruba vs. Curacao for September Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are are deciding between Aruba and Curacao for our honeymoon the second week in September. We would like to enjoy the beach, a little snorkeling and have access to some activities. We would like to spend some time on the beach, but I think that we will get bored if there is not more to do than lay on the beach all day. We would like to really explore the area. This will be both of our first trips to the Caribbean. Has anyone been to either or both of these and have some insight into which would be better?
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:00 AM

For a first time trip to the Caribbean, I would suggest Aruba.

Aruba is more geared up for tourism, whereas Curacao's main industry is something else, so in Curacao you get a "real" island which some might not like. It's bigger than Aruba, more industrial. Aruba has lovely beaches but also alot of activities away from the beach. Snorkelling is not bad, we spend most of our time on Malmok Beach and scuba diving (Antilla), horse riding excursion to the east coast and swimming in the natural pools, butterfly farm, ostrich farm etc.

Aruba has lots of good restaurants too, is easy to drive around and see sights (or you can take organised tours).

Curacao also has alot going for it, beautiful beaches (but some distance from Willemstad), didn't find the restaurants as good as Aruba. Enjoyed Willemstad's architecture and the national park. Curacao is good if you are ok with being an independent traveller, car rental is recommended otherwise you are limited to seeing the island by excursions.
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:59 AM
KVR

Have been to both and preferred Aruba over Curacao. They are totally different destinations.

More things to see and do in Aruba, the beaches are nicer, the public transportation is great and the restaurants/options much better. We were a little bored in Curacao especially at night. In Curacao you will need a car. The beaches are coves/inlets on the West side of the Island, so you will need a car or take a tour to get to them. We found it quite difficult to get to Curacao from the US. It was either an overnight in Miami or a flight to Aruba and a puddle jumper to Curacao. We decided on the latter. For your first trip and a honeymoon, Aruba would be my choice.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:23 PM
KVR

No, Aruba and Curacao are not the same. Totally different destinations,vibe and appearance. If you ever go to Aruba, you will understand.