When is Spring Break in 2008?

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is Spring Break in 2008?

Hi, we are in the midst of planning a trip to the Caribbean, our first to that part of the world. I read something about Spring Break and I guess that's when prices go up and there are lots of rowdy young people out drinking? Not our scene at all. Can someone tell me the dates for that? Does it vary throughout the USA or is it the same in each state?

We are thinking of visiting Jan/Feb 2008.

Thanks very much
Kay
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It varies with each school. Usually late February and early-mid March are the most popular times, but many colleges also have the month of January off as well, so it's hard to say. I think your best bet would be late January/early February, but that is just a guess.

Where exactly in the Caribbean were you thinking? If you post that, people with experience at that location might be able to narrow it down more for you.

Good luck
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I believe Easter is March 23. Many spring breaks are the week before or the week after.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Gin

Don't forget Presidents week too. It's one of the busiest weeks in the Caribbean with young (grade school) children off the entire week.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Spring Break usually starts with President's week and runs thru Easter week. With the first 2 weeks of march and the week before and after easter being the most crowded.

Presidents week and easter week are more family based, the other weeks more college party age.

Jan-Valentines week is usually fine.

But be aware that since it's off season, some places do maintenance this time of year, so you can find a pool or restaurant closed or on a rotation schedule.

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone but I'm a little confused. Have not heard of President's Week, is there a date for that? It sounds like it's in March, the week before Easter? Easter will be the same dates here in the UK so I can figure that one out!

We have been looking at St Lucia and Barbados but it looks like we might end up going to Antigua. It sounds good and we might be able to use frequent flyer points to get there.

It sounds like any time between late Jan and mid Feb 2008 would be OK - does this sound right?

As long as the hotel we pick isn't doing major maintenance! Thanks for that tip, it wouldn't have occured to me, I thought Dec-Apr was peak season and not a time for doing maintenance. You live and learn.

We'd be grateful for any other tips as once we've paid for flights we'll be locked in.

Thanks Kay
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:20 AM

President's week 2008 is Feb 15-22. It honors the February birthdays of Presidents Washington and Lincoln.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Kay, Presidents week often coincides with the February half term break in the UK so going in late Jan or early Feb would be best.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Kay,
I agree with you, I don't think most resorts would do their maintenance from Dec. - April. That is high season. One thing to think about - we always go away in mid-April and that is when the prices for hotel rooms and villas drop fairly dramatically. The weather is usually great on the island and we have never found it to be too busy. Most college students are also done with Spring Break by April.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM

KayF: Also know that spring breakers (the college drinking rowdy type you're trying to avoid) won't be all over the Caribbean. They tend to stick to the same, cheaper, easy to get to places. The ones I know you should avoid like the plague: Negril, Nassau and Cancun.
Maybe others can add other places they know spring breakers go to.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Let me clarify. I didn't mean that Dec - april was maintenance time... but some of the very large (like atlantis) properties with multiple pools and restaurants, use the off weeks in mid Jan - Mid Feb to do some maintenance.
(After Xmas Holidays but before the spring Break)

No all properties need this kind of upkeep, but the larger ones will rotate maintence in any week that they are at a lower capacity.
These weeks are usually heavily discounted. This past season, Atlantis sold those weeks for under $100 for the Beach towers. last minute deals.

My object was to make sure you investigate the particular property that you're interested in.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification, we usually don't stay at big resorts, preferring something small with character but it's a good tip and something to watch for.

Thanks very much
Kay
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I'm not a fan of these big places either, but we use the downtime to put our boat on dry dock each season.. so we are very aware of the trend. We depend on tourism for our business.