Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any St.John or St. Thomas restaurants w/corkage options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:44 AM
winelover

We will be celebrating our five year anniversary, and we have a few special bottles we are bringing with us to the USVI. Does anybody know if some of the fine dining offers corkage as a drink option?<BR><BR>Also, just curious, anyone buy wine duty free? How is the selection?<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Topping

Topping!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Harriman

No winos?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:04 AM
stacy

Fine dining in St. John or Thomas?? LOL

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Ronnie

I have seen restaurants that do have those options. Just call the ones you want to go to and see. I am sure most will not mind. Why give up revenue on food and other drinks because someone wants to bring their own wine or champagne? Sure this holds true anywhere!<BR>Ronnie

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:48 AM
karen

Have not found the "duty-free" wines to be much of a deal. While liquor can be a bargain, we have found the prices of many of our favorites to be steadily climbing over the years so much so that it is really not worth taking much liquor back with us - other than the rum and some of the liquors, i.e., Amaretto, Frangelica, etc., but stay away from the Baileys. I opened a bottle last weekend that I brought back from St. John last November, and all the cream had curdled. Had to pitch it and that hurt! Guess it isn't stored as well as it should be so I would be apprehensive about bringing back some special wines as well even though many appear to be refrigerated, I question where they were before they got to the "wine cellar" site.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Ca. wino

We'd be bringing the "fine wine" from home to the islands (and restaurants) -not considering buying California's finest in the USVA Thus, corkage fees might be worth paying - if not too pricey (nor insulting to the establishments).