Just returned from St Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stayed at the Ritz and ate in St Thomas at the Blue Moon Cafe,Off The Hook and Agave Terrace, then in St John at: The Balcony and Rhumb Lines (my favorite). Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:17 AM

Where did you stay on St. Thomas? Did you take the ferry to St. John for a day trip? Could you compare St. Thomas and St. John for us? Thanks in advance,

Maggi
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Maggi,

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, which is by Red Hook. We took the ferry to St. John three times, once for a snorkel trip and twice for dinner.

Honestly, I love both islands. St John seems to be a little more secluded than St Thomas, but it is so easy and cheap to get from one island to another that it really does not matter where you stay. Clearly, St Thomas has better shopping and greater variety of restaurants...and St John has better beaches. Personally, I would stay in St Thomas just because I really enjoy the comfort and amenities at the Ritz. I know the Westin in St John is nice, but I've only seen it from a distance and have no first hand experience there.

In any case, it's really a no lose decision.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:45 PM

We'll be staying on St. John, but it's good to know we can pop over to St. Thomas easily for shopping and whatnot. Thanks.
Maggi
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Where is Rhumb Lines in St. John? What type of food do they have?

How was the service at the Ritz? The hotel is beautiful and you can't beat the view, but I've had poor service there....so I'm curious as to your experience.

Thank you?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:28 AM

Is there a main shopping/restaurant area in Red Hook near the ferry? How much is the ferry? Thanks
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:01 AM

Red Hook has a number of restaurants and a few shops. It's not a big town, everything is within a few blocks. What kind of restaurants are you looking for? I believe the ferry is $2 each way.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 06:00 AM

No restaurant type in particular. I will be staying on St John and was more looking for something to do for a morning or afternoon jaunt since that is the short ferry ride. A little shopping, lunch. We are not huge shoppers. Would like to see a little of St Thomas.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Rhumb Lines is a two block walk from the ferry in Cruz Bay. It is located in Meada's Plaza. The food is considered Pacific Rim and Tropical Cuisine. I had the best barbecued prawns, with asian infused vegetables, and incredible jasmine rice cakes. My wife had coconut shrimp and some type of asian noodles. I'm not kidding...this was the best meal I've ever had in the Virgin Islands! Please try it and let me know what you think.

At the Ritz, we had perfect service. The staff could not have been nicer. We only ate lunches there, and some days service was slow and some days it was fine. It was never horrifyingly slow and in either case, the food was always good...just chill...you are on vacation.

In Red Hook, the ferry to/from St John is $3.00 each way. I think the ferry from St John to Charlotte Amalie is $7.00 each way. There is not a whole lot to do in Red Hook...two or three good restauants like Molly Malones and Off The Hook. For drinks and burgers there is Duffy's Love Shack, and for desert there is Stone Cold Creamery. There is not a whole lot of shopping. You really need to go to Charlotte Amalie for that.