stay on st. thomas or st. john?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, i just learned about this web site today and have been reading so many helpful comments but still wondering which island to stay on. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 06:14 PM

I'm sure you'll get lots of help but first you need to tell us more about what kind of vacation you're looking for. <BR>Are you hikers? Want lots of watersports? Need shopping? Need lots of nightlife? Do you want a resort? Do you want to be directly on the beach? Give us some more info about what you're looking for and you'll get some really good answers!
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:05 PM

St John by far! You can take the ferry back over to St Thomas for more shopping if needed.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:24 AM

St. John is untainted, beautiful, and a more relaxing place to be. St. Thomas is better for a day trip.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:41 AM

kinda depends on you and your budget. surprising how the price goes up with that short ferry ride. only caneel or westin on St. John and beachfront properties are a minimum. Easy to stay on St. Thomas and take a day trip or two or three to the BVI, St. John in accomodations in various price ranges with differing amenities.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone...caneel bay on st. john looks wonderful but really expensive...renaissance on st. thomas more afordable but is it nice? would bolongo bay beach club be better or morning star?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:47 PM

There are many more affordable places on StJ. You don't have to stay at Caneel to enjoy yourself. As far as StT goes, I'm going to guess and say that 9 out of 10 people on this forum would recommend StJ. Does that tell you anything !!! Good Luck
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:25 AM

I too looked into staying on St. John vs. staying on St. Thomas. I opted for the Renaissance on St. Thomas. It was cheaper than the Westin (the one we considered on St. John). It is close to the Red Hook and since we plan on going to St. John at least 2 times while we're there, it is convenient. We also plan on taking a day tour to the Baths in Virgin Gorda. I also believe there are many more inexpensive food options on St. Thomas... that's a concern for us... we are 2 adults &amp; 2 hungry teen boys. The Renaissance offers free non-motorized water sports which is great... for 4 of us, the rentals for those would not be cheap! To be honest, if we had a bigger budget, I'd love stay on St. John... We'd been there for the day while on a cruise... it is truly the most beautiful place my family has ever seen! But since were saving a bit on hotel and food, we'll be able to afford the Baths trip, etc. a litte easier... And we'll be able to afford going back sooner too!!!!