2 Guys and a get away trip

Jun 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

2 Guys and a get away trip

Hola - 2 40 year old straight guys visiting (somewhere tbd?) in Carib mid July. 1 lost his wife last year to cancer and thus this is a "recovery" trip ... wanting suggestions for places that are "outdoors active" yet friendly to novices, have really good beach and water, and have fun - even occasionally exhilarating - nightlife - without being an over the top 24x7 party place. More like lots of hang out on the beach bars with music and people to chat with vs disco's ... suggestions??
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM

I would check out St. Martin,it fits most of your critiera.
Jun 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
mjz

In addition to St. Martin. Look into Aruba, St. John and Puerto Rico. Out of the 3, St. John is my favorite. Awesome beaches, good restaurants, water sports of all kinds and fun bars in Cruz Bay. Airfare to St. Thomas should not be too bad when compared to other islands. Once in St. Thomas, you can take the ferry from either Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook to St. John. By the way, I guess St. Thomas could be an option as well. I've been twice. I find it a little too touristy and over run with cruise ships.
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the insights -- are there bars or an area with a group of bars that stay open much past sundown in St. John's?
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:44 PM

St Thomas offers a comfortable blend of friendliness and great beaches, and is the ideal location for a fun and relaxing vacation. There are some delightful places to hang out at during th eevening. STT is a beautiful island.
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM

st.john usvi...this would be a great place for the two of you.the most beautiful beaches to hang & relax. rent a jeep while you're there and travel the island/stop at one of the many beaches, old ruins,views to die for and terrific bars. yes,they stay open past sundown .. trust me, we've closed a few !! the most are in cruz bay..Woodys is great to hang out and meet lots of locals & travelers..famous happy hour(s)..Beach Bar, another good spot for meeting locals and... had a great Jazz group on sundays 4-7pm..new place is Compass Rose/nice big bar to sit, watch sunset/get dinner.Coral bay has some good places too..Skinny legs, Shipwreck.There is enough to do on this island.some nice condos in cruz bay..can walk into town. we love it there, hope you will !!
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:08 AM

buffettoo: St. John will be very quiet and the "exilarating night-life" does not exist as far as I know. If you want to be sailors, the BVI's might be more fun. Aruba (although getting a bad rap right now) was not over the top in partying, but has gambling and some night life. Puerto Rico has golf, fishing, gambling and a variety of things to do. This may be a great option to getaway. Hope you can find the right place.