An Island like St John

Jun 1st, 2002, 07:39 AM
debbie

An Island like St John

Just returned from Caneel Bay on St John and loved it. I'm sure we will go back, but in the mean time I am looking for a new island to try. Where is there another island with a luxury resort, beautiful beaches, nice restaurants and a nice little town like Cruz Bay. I have just started looking into Anguilla. I know it is not lush like St. John, but that's fine. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Jun 1st, 2002, 08:04 AM
Mary

Anguilla is my island of choice but definitely not for everyone. It has fabulous resorts (check out websites on http://hotels.ai) & 70-80 wonderful restaurants & 33 of the best beaches in the Caribbean. It is also flat, scrubby and arid with no town & very little night life. You would probably like St. Bart's & should look into Guanahani -- the island is beautiful, Gustavia is charming, with some excellent restaurants & good beaches.

Jun 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
Debbie

Thanks Mary. Don't need night life. We'll be taking a 3 year old on this trip. Thought the Malliouhana might be a good place. Seems to have quite a bit for kids. Would you still recommend St. Barts? It is on my list of island I would like to see, but I haven't looked into it for this trip yet, just starting my research and trying to narrow down my choices. Barbados and Nevis are also on my list. We really did like being able to walk around a little town and I'm just not sure where there are similar places.

Jun 1st, 2002, 01:19 PM
penny

Malliouhana has a great pirate ship play area, new spa and baby sitting services. On my last vist I overheard 2 Moms with very young children and infants, how great this place was with meeting their needs.
I love St. John and enjoy Caneel too.
Anguilla is a favorite too, as it is easy to get around and has wonderful beach front dinning. Just make sure to go out of your hotel, as there are lots of spots to explore on the west end of the island. Snorkeling is not like Caneel, but the restaurants are mostly
on the water, very nice. Many more choices!
Nothing yet in my island travels comes close to Cruz Bay, but Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda is a nice spot too!

Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
Debbie

Penny- Thanks for the info. Especially good to hear that the moms were happy with it. I'm pretty sure that is where we will go. Do we need to rent a car? In st john it was so easy to take cabs to dinner and we just stayed at the beaches at Caneel.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:21 AM
penny

Taxis on Anguilla are very easy to get!
The drivers are all so nice! Its the only island I know that the driver will drop you off, arrange to pick you up again and not take any money until the return trip. Malliouhana is very personal, the owner will welcome you, and also bid you farewell. The staff has been there for years. Its a wonderful island, you might want to rent a car to explore! Its much easier than St. John. Do try other restaurants! Meads Bay is nice to walk and it also has beautiful sunsets.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
e

My advice is if you love SJ, you'll love St. Barts.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:10 AM
debbie

e-
Where do you like to stay in St Barts? There seem to be so many choices. Is it easy to get around like St john and Anguilla?

Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:12 AM
debbie

Penny-

Thanks again. Wonderful to hear about the taxis. So far that is still my first choice, although st barts seems like it might be a good choice too.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:11 PM
e

If money is an object stay at Village St Jean, if not then Le Toiney, Carl Gustav, Eden Rock and a few more that are superb. The driving and sights on the island remind me alot of St. John (beautiful vistas, hills, driving to great beaches, small island feel, safe, great town-Gustavia. Good Luck !!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Debbie

Thanks. Have heard that Eden Roc is lovely. Not sure it is really a place for kids, but I will check into it. I'm sure I would love St. Barts. It does sound wonderful.

Jun 4th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Island Girl

You may also want to consider St. Kitts and Nevis. They are beautiful low key gentle islands.

Search this Thread