Search

Which Island

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Island

We are a "new" couple thinking about a winter vacation together. Timing would be between January and mid-April, leaving from Rochester, Syracuse or Buffalo NY. He loves to snorkel, we both love to sail and I would like to fit in some good beach time, shopping local excursions. Good restaurants but not into late nightlife. Nice hotel, pool and beachfront is what we would enjoy. I've done Bermuda he's done Antigua, so looking for something new for both of us.
Sorry it's kind of a broad request, we're just starting to talk about it, thanks for your help.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM

I would recommend St. John. It has what you are looking for and lots of really beautiful places to explore. Caneel Bay is a lovely hotel,http://www.caneelbay.com/
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM

Funny but as I read your post, I immediately thought "St. John" and then I read the response from cmcfong so I only echo what was already expressed. Have a great trip wherever you decide but I don't think you would be disappointed for a moment with whatever you might choose on SJ.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - it looks great!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:55 AM

I'll add my 2 cents for St. John and Caneel Bay. Also Barbados, being deep in the Caribbean, will have the warmest winter water temperatures. The isalnd is so varied, with a wide range of sightseeing, great restaurants, beaches. The class act on the island is Coral Reef Club, low-rise, plantation style on gorgeous grounds, family owned for nearly 60 years (and the care shows), beachfront on the edge of an underwater park. See www.barbados.org and www.coralreefbarbados.com
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM

I second St. John, but I'm biased as that is the only spot in the Caribbean that I've been, besides the Bahamas when I was 15.

Out of Western/Upstate NY, I'd try Delta or USAir. USAir has flights to St. Thomas from Phil or Charlotte. Delta from Atlanta. We've never flown through Puerto Rico. I like the one stop flights. Just my preference.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM

I would suggest you visit the Bahamas specifically Nassau. It is considered to be a romantic place with the beach environment. It's really nice there especially during the night. Try to look into this site so that you will have more ideas. http://www.sunsort.com/guide/bahamas/nassau/