Reload this Page >

Advice For Wyndham Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Lisa

My girlfriend and I are staying at Wyndham in May. I have heard stories of alot of kids/murky water/small beaches/no nitelife. Is this a huge problem? I just want to relax and take some excursions to the obvious sites(falls,caves,snorkeling...)I'm not looking for a 5 star hotel, just 5 star relaxation and comfort. We are both in our 20's. Any opinions/comments/advice would be great!<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:01 AM
DK

We've stayed at the Wydham 3 times. The last time we took the kids. It really depends on what you want from your vacation. We absolutely LOVED it there. The waterpark is wonderful! There were a wide variety of age groups there. They had nightly entertainment, but nothing real exciting. They did have slot machines and access to computers if interested. There is an independent driver named Hubert that took us to parts of Montego Bay the typical tourist wouldn't get to see. Ask for him! He'll take you anywhere, comfortably.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:32 AM
anonymous

The wyndham rose hall is great for families with kids..you will see plenty of them...if that's not a problem then you should enjoy your trip...I skipped the place (moved to another hotel) because I wanted romance and a not a place that is in serious need of renovations...however, I read at frommers.com that the wyndham is undergoing renovations.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:46 PM
rhoda

Hubert was my driver when two friends and I went to MoBay in November 2000. He was a good driver/guide. He got a bit angry with us and did not pick us up for a night of partying our last night. We were all in our 30's and had a great time. The Wyndham has been remodeled. I stayed there in March of 1998 before the renovations and it was not nearly as nice. The hotel is quite a distance from the strip (marguaritaville, downtown, etc.) Doctors Cave beach is better than the beach at the Wyndham (does anyone remember what Doctor's Cave beach looked like before the renovation - NASTY!!)<BR><BR>I love the Wyndham. I don't remember it being overrun with kids either. The water park is fun for grown ups like myself as well.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:46 AM
chacoms

My husband and I are staying at the Wyndham in early May would like any additional comments, good or bad about the resort, as well as the water conditions (calm or rough). Any additional suggestions. thank you

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
chazz

The ONLY thing we didn't like about the Wyndham was that the water was rough and churned up the whole week we were there - red flags up throughout (no swimming).<BR><BR>We found much better conditions at Doctor's Cave Beach, about 11 miles away, which is in a protected bay.<BR><BR>Overall the Wyndham is a nice hotel (although rather architecturally unstimulating).<BR><BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:46 AM
chacoms

Have you found that most reports have been like this, no matter what time of year?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:11 AM
TheMom

I have been checking these boards for 2 months about this resort. Seems to be the opinions don't change much at all. Mostly minor observations about service, rooms, etc. However, there does seem to be a consensus about beach swimming. Many posts state red flags and a closed beach. While the pool is awesome, one of the reasons we are looking at Jamaica for our family trip is swimming in the Caribbean in February while everyone at home in Boston is freezing! My family likes both the ocean and a pool and we go back and forth. Does anyone know if the red flag on this beach is during certain times of the year or is it this particular area? Are the beaches in Negril calmer?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:03 AM
chazz

Our "windy Wyndham" experience was in February, and I understand this tends to be one of the breezier times of the year. But it's potluck - you could hit a calm week.<BR><BR>Yes, the water is usually calmer in Negril. Late in February you may start to encounter some of the "spring break" influence there, however (March is the worst).<BR><BR>Montego Bay and Ocho Rios both have protected bays which keep the water fairly calm. It seems to be the exposed North Shore resorts between MoBay and Ochie that are the roughest.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Jack

Just read a real horror story about Wyndham Rose Hall in Jamaica in the rec.travel.caribbean newsgroup. <BR><BR>Go a google search for it.<BR><BR>(http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search)