Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best for family - Jamaica or Punta Cana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my husband and I had a trip to Honduras without kids planned for March, but due to a health issue, Grandma won't be able to watch the kids. So, if we want to escape this winter, it looks like we will need to bring them along (girls, ages 13 and 7). Since flights from Minneapolis to Roatan are running around $800, that option is out.

We're looking for something budget friendly, and we've been to both coasts in Mexico, Cozumel, and Puerto Plata. We would like to try someplace new, so are looking at Jamaica or Punta Cana. We will most likely look at all-inclusives - they're convenient with kids and we like to stay at resorts that are not in bustling cities (without having to drive or taxi into town for dinner). We usually take a day or two to go on an excursion or explore. Shopping isn't something we're interested in, but we like lush scenery and snorkeling and nature.

I suppose it will vary from resort to resort, but in general, is one location more family friendly than the other? What is the atmosphere or "vibe" of each location? Any recommendations?
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are some very nice family-friendly all-inclusives on Negril's 7-mile beach (90 mins. shuttle from the Montego Bay airport). I know because I was sitting on the plane with a family with 2 kids who were dying of excitement to go to the water park, trying to convince their parents to go there first even before checking into the hotel -ha! And yes plenty of half or day trips you can arrange with a driver various places and distances around the island. Or boat trips of all sorts. Negril is very beautiful, as far as lush and nature.

I only know from reading forums, but people who go to the AI's in Punta Cana seem to stick mostly to just staying on the resort property, not really going out around the island for whatever reason.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Just to give you an idea, we've been going to Negril since 1982, usually with our kids who are now 22 and 19. The area is very family-friendly, and it's a great place to have a laid-back vacation on one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

I don't think you necessarily need an AI, however, unless that's a real preference. There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels right on the beach, and several on the cliffs. Restaurants are pretty cheap, depending where you go. You can easily arrange tours through your hotel or through independent operators on the beach.

If you decide to go, post again for recommendations! Good luck!
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM

I would pick Negril too. Lots of choice for resorts, both basic and AI. The beach is truly amazing. Water warm and calm. Restaurants are many and very reasonable.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinions. If we go non-AI, are most of the restaurants within walking distance? We would definitely want a hotel on the beach, but with a pool, too. Any recommendations? I guess I need to do a little more researching on the layout of Negril. We're still mulling over different vacation ideas.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Yes there's lots of great restaurants around Negril, but it's pretty spread out. A few you'll be able to walk to, but also you'd likely use the local taxis to get around to.

The layout of Negril is stretched out, not a concentrated downtown area... You'll find the famous and beautiful 7-mile beach, then a 'round-about' in the middle where there's the grocery store, post office, bank, etc. then another long stretch of similar length called "the Cliffs", where the hotels and resorts are perched on cliffs overlooking the ocean.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM

suze gave you excellent information. I'll just add that some of the restaurants on the cliffs like ROCKHOUSE offer roundtrip transportation from hotels on the beach. All you have to do is tip the driver.

We usually stay at COCO LA PALM, which is in the middle ( and I think the best) part of the beach. The nicest rooms there are the upper level jr. suites which are very roomy, and have big terraces. Some of them come with two queen beds so it is possible to accommodate four people in one room. The ground floor rooms are not nearly as nice.

This is not a luxury hotel, but it's comfortable, clean, reasonably priced and has one of the best locations on the beach. There are two small pools on the property-, one for adults, the other for kids and adults. But the beach is the real draw and it's really beautiful there.

You could also take a look at CHARELA INN, which is about two blocks down from COCO, or RONDEL VILLAGE.

There are also several smaller properties on the cliffs, but since you're taking kids with you, I'd highly recommend staying right on the beach.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM

I love staying on the Cliffs, but agree, for a family with kids, the beach is where you want to be. I was at Mirage for 10 days this past summer, which I mention only because it is sister property to Charela Inn (same owner) as mentioned above.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

All of the places you mentioned, Weadles, look really nice. If I was going by myself, I could easily stay at any of those. They might be a little bit TOO laid back for the rest of my family, though. They like the organized activities that are included at an all-inclusive (volleyball, water polo, littlest one likes kid's clubs, etc.). I'm going to keep looking - I'll let you know what we end up doing!
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM

You probably don't want Negril then.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM

janienicole,

There are two Beaches Negril, one on Bloody Bay, and one a little farther up the beach toward town. Either of these would offer all the activities you're looking for, but I think they may be pricey. If not, my recommendation would be to go with the one that is NOT on Bloody Bay. I think it's on a much better part of the beach.

And if these are too much $$,save Negril for a romantic getaway with your husband, and maybe start looking at properties in the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Weadles,
Beaches Resorts are probably going to be more than we want to spend. But, I will keep watching - there are frequently good package deals that they offer to us poor souls who want to escape the long midwest winter. I'll check out DR and Puerto Rico. We may end up back in Mexico - what a terrible consolation.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a good family friendly all inclusive resort in Jamaica, look into the Iberostar Rose Hall resorts. Iberostars are very family friendly resorts with load of activities to keep your children busy.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM

janenicole,

See you in Mexico! Going in three weeks...
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM

I've been to Mexico 20+ times. I never get bored with it.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 04:40 AM

Our family has been going to Negril for over 20 years. Our favorite place to stay with our kids is Rondell Village. We rent a villa with a kitchen and it is home away from home! The staff is great. We have stayed there for over 15 years and have been very pleased. It is situated in the middle of the 7 mile beach, so it is very convenient to most anything you need. You can take a taxi to the Hi-Lo grocery store and you will be set for the kids!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Following up - after dragging our feet because nothing "grabbed" us (that was within budget), we finally booked a trip to the Riviera Maya yesterday! We hope to get to Jamaica someday - think we would enjoy it there more with friends or extended family along, and go non-AI. Leaving in 29 days! Thanks for the help and advice - I'll file the info into my travel folder.