Activities for small kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our first big family trip in a few weeks. We have two small kids in preschool (2.5 and 4.5) and are finally venturing out! I am so excited! I wasn't sure where we should stay and thought that maybe 7MB might be better for small kids. But after reading many great posts about the Reef Resort and East End here and on other boards, and after emailing back and forth with Tom from the Reef (who reads this forum), I can't wait to go!!! We have not even gotten there yet, and the staff at the Reef has been so responsive and so helpful.

Since the people on this forum have already provided such great info, I wanted to get your thoughts on this issue: what activities would you recommend that we not miss with small kids? I know that there is a turtle farm and I need to get the details on that. I think that the kids might be too small to swim with stingrays. For anyone who's been, what do you think? They can swim but I think the stingrays might scare them. It sounds like the snorkeling cruises might be a bit too long. Has anyone taken small kids on a boat like that? Do they get sea sick? Should we just stay on the beach?

Looking for some guidance from those who have done this with small kids before. Thanks for the advice. I'll post about the trip when we get back!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM
caribtraveler

ok..this has nothing to do with your questions..but i have a question for you if you don't mind..your kids can swim?? really??
i have a 22-month-old son who we're trying to figure when to get him started on swimming since we do a lot of beach vacations (he loves water and loved it when we took him to st. john last june).
can you tell me when yours were taught? and feel free to give me any other advice regarding teaching him how to swim.
thanks!

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

That's so funny! I don't mind your asking at all. We just can't help it--we're always parents first! Both of my kids started swim classes when they were 21 months old. You have to start out in a Mom & me class (or Dad). Most swim schools will allow your child to move out of that class and into a regular class when they are ready to advance to that stage and are mature enough to sit on the step and wait their turn. This happened for both of my kids at just before 23/24 months. I was not convinced that my rowdy son would follow directions but he did and does!
The key is to get your kids into year around classes. Once a week is a great outlet for energy, improves coordination, and provides much needed exercise for today's kids. Obviously, you need a facility that has an indoor pool. You also need to go somewhere that has trained instructors rather than high school or college kids just teaching in the summer. Don't get me wrong--I was one of those high school and college kids, and it works fine when your kids are older. But if you want your younger kid to learn to swim then you need someone who is actually trained to teach swimming. Some experts say that young kids cannot or should not learn to swim, that they lack the "physical capacity or intellectual interest," but it just is not true.

My four and a half year old now swims across a sixty foot pool using a freestyle stroke and breathing on the side. She has done this since she was 3. It is not always the prettiest stroke (!) but it is effective. Outside of swimming class she swims underwater and goofs around like they all do. My 29 month old "swims" but I am in the water with him or on the side while he swims back and forth around the steps. He cannot yet swim a distance of course. He is learning to float and will soon do his "float test" at swim class. The instructor takes the child to the middle of the pool, drops them in the water next to the instructor, then the child rolls over to a float and either makes their way to the side or floats for 5 minutes. When I first heard about this, I thought it was barbaric, but when you see how they work up to it by teaching the kids how to float, etc, you see that it is not a traumatic experience for them at all. Everything is done in a very loving and nuturing way, which is KEY! I now have the peace of mind that if my son ever falls into a body of water, that he will most likely roll over onto his back and try to make his way to the side or float until we can get to him. Nothing is fail proof but it is better than having no background at all.

My son likes to jump off of the side and swim to us, swim between my husband and I, or jump off of the diving board and then swim to us while we wait in the water nearby. He has swim buoys, which are sticks that have a buoy on each end. He puts one under each arm and kicks from one end of the pool to the other. I never used any kind of floaty or swim jacket on my children (unless they were in a boat and then we used a lifejacket). I totally disagree with these products as do a majority of experts, as they give the children a false sense of security and can easily slip off. And of course, nothing substitutes for properly supervising your kids, even after they learn to swim.

Well, there you have it. That's my opinion and that's how we did it and are doing it. Some people might disagree and that's okay too. Good luck! The key is to know your kids and what works best for them. I also believe that the key is to have SOMEONE ELSE teach them because it seems that they will always learn swimming better with someone else!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Hi, grants04-
We took our kids to Cayman a few years ago...we loved it. At the time, they were 3 and 6. We stayed on 7-mile beach in a condo (Plantana).
For ideas: the Turtle Farm is great. If you are getting a car, you can easily drive there. We opted for a tour/guide, and went to the Turtle Farm and Hell. Hell really isn't much, but the kids will really like the Turtle Farm. If you haven't already, check out turtle.ky/. They also have a webcam, which you may want to show to your older child (to show what they will be visiting).
Concerning the stingrays: We went out with Captain Dexter (dexters-fantaseatours.com). My daughter, 6 at the time, did get in (great pictures) with us (all wearing life vests). The water hit the adults at our chest. Our son, 3, watched from the boat (we switched off staying back with him). I think your kids are a little young, as it would be a struggle to hold them in the water (even if they were wearing vests).
Some friends went on the glass-bottom boat ride recently (cruise trip) and enjoyed that with their children.
We took the Hyatt ferry over to Rum Point for the day. It was a nice ride with the kids, and the change of scenery was great for a day.
You will love Grand Cayman!
Enjoy.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

TJCM,

Thanks for the info! It's always nice to hear it from the perspective of people with kids as small as your own. Thank you for captain dexter's website. I had not been able to find it. We might try the sandbar part of Stingray City. That is supposed to be better with small kids. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Hi, grants04:
Note: We went with Dexter to Stingray SANDBAR...not City. It really is up to an adults chest there.
One more thing...while "touristy" go to the Wharf Restaurant in the evening for the tarpon feeding (bring the camera). It was at 9:00 (a bit late for your little ones), but the kids have alot of fun feeding the fish.
Have fun!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:00 PM
caribtraveler

grants04: thank you very much for the info on teaching your kids how to swim. much appreciated!

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:38 PM

We went to Stingray City when our kids were little, and during the "feeding" session the guide gave my husband (holding onto our 5 year old) some food, which my son inadvertantly rubbed against his leg and . . . the stingray then "gave my son a hickey"! He literally tried to suck on his leg. Sounds funny now, but when you're in the middle of the ocean with a hysterical young child it was pretty scary! No long lasting problems, but please be aware that these are natural creatures with their own agenda! We enjoyed the experience up to that point, but do NOT participate in feeding! My kids loved snorkelling but they were a little older - try bringing goggles for the 4 year old so he can see some of the fish.