Accommodation recommendations Tobago

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodation recommendations Tobago

We're going to Tobago in a week or so and would like recommendations for accommodation. Have read lots of reviews, seems like Bacolet Bay might be a good option. Alot of hotels have either poor or very mixed reviews eg Grand Courlan, Turtle Beach and the Grafton which doesnt leave many choices, realise Tobago doesn't have high end accommodation and it laid back and that's fine for us. Kariwak looks great but is not near the beach. Main thing is not to end up in a dump.
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:17 AM

StoneHaven and The Palms

good deals on nice upscale properties my favs there...

http://www.luxurylink.com/fivestar/e...-tobago/villas.

http://www.luxurylink.com/fivestar/e...go/palms-villa

Happy Travels!
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Kariwak is just a 5 minute walk from the beach and has great food, friendly staff and lovely grounds. Also close to airport but don't recall the noise being much of a disturbance.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM

We stayed at the Blue Haven 6-7 years ago and it was quite nice. I would rate it a Four Star minus but not by much. We bid on it through LuxuryLink.com
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions: Kariwak have not responded to emails, upscale villa is not what we prefer to stay in so we're still looking, Blue Haven is on the Atlantic side, is it possible to swim on that side?
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:07 AM

Odin; I do not remember if we could swim there.But the hotel likely will not miss-represent if you ask if the water is suitable for serious swimming. I do remember going out snorkeling but not from that point. A tiur van picked us up and took us to a marina dock on the Caribbean side. The snorkeling is fairly good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM

It's been several years since I was in Tobago (visited 7 times before that), so I can't address the state of the hotels these days. But I imagine the state of the surf is the same. Haven't stayed at the Blue Haven, but have visited it a few times. There was surf -- but it was not too intimidating on our visits. Have also stayed at the Blue Waters Inn -- far up-island -- which is in a protected bay and has rather calm water, but reviews for this hotel are also very mixed these days. Also have stayed twice at the Gran Courlan and experienced rather treacherous surf on a number of days -- once husband was coming in from the water and was picked up by a wave and slammed down hard enough to scare him. The only two people who enjoyed the beach that day were two dare-devil Aussies. The surf varies from day to day and might be worse with certain phases of the moon, not that I can remember which phases are worse. Calmest beach overall was Pigeon Point, but tourist boats and fishing boats often got too close to swimmers as they tried to evade rocks or somesuch. Anyway, being on the Caribbean side doesn't guarantee calm water, and I haven't been to all beaches on Tobago.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

In the end we stayed at Turtle Beach because we felt it would have the best location, and it did live up to expectations. The sand is golden and the sea is emerald green, with sandy bottom in this area with calm water, perfect swimming beach. The best snorkelling was on Arnos Vale beach which is 10 mins away by car or Mount Irvine beach. Did some scuba diving also and it was fairly good esp the wreck of the Maverick.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 03:35 AM

Tobago, the smaller of the twin island nation of Trinidad and Tobago is famous for its beauty and accommodation. Tobago luxury hotels add an important element to this claim.
Previously regarded as the undiscovered jewel of the Caribbean, Tobago is famous for its grandeur. The splendor of this island is in its natural beauty and its friendly people and of course its luxury hotels and villas.
Tobago luxury hotels are world class and they compliment and pay tribute to the awesome wonders with which this tiny Caribbean island has been blessed.
Accommodation on this small Caribbean island range from the ultimate five (5) star luxury hotels and extravagant Villas to tasteful, yet cheap, Tobago hotels. Depending on one's taste and or budget, the choices are many - ranging from the ultimately exquisite luxury resorts to more affordable lodgings and accommodations.

Illustrated below are some of Tobago luxury hotels.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM

I have stayed at Coco Reef a few times and have enjoyed it everytime. Snorkeling is eh. I usually take a dive trip or a boat rental and snorkel. The food there is good however they don't have many of the local dishes. Curry Crab n Dumplin or doubles for breakfast. There is a public beach next door to Coco reef with food court. I found myself there everyday getting Shark Bake and Curry Shrimp and rice.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:05 PM

You can go for Sullivan's Court which is equipped with all necessary amenities, however if you want to go for a fancier option I would suggest the Villas at Stonehaven or the Blue Waters Inn. You'll find the details here for these 2 here. Enjoy your stay.
http://visittobago.gov.tt/current-pr...-heaven-villas
http://visittobago.gov.tt/current-pr...lue-waters-inn
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

I already travelled to Tobago in 2011 so your recommendations are several years too late. But thank you for digging out this post and topping it.