Know These Nevis Villas?

Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Know These Nevis Villas?

OK Fodorites, all this glowing talk of Nevis has made my decision. Originally DH and I were going for one week, but we decided if we cut our villa budget we can swing two weeks in November.

Any experience with these villas (even location advice would be appreciated if you haven't been inside):

Yellow Bird, right near Oalie Beach. First on my list so far since I read a long and glowing review, and corresponded with both owner and reviewer.

Black Sand Cove: the cottage, not the house. I have been warned that this place is quite remote - not too much of a problem, but we'd like a place where we can walk to dinner or a drink once in a while.

Iris villa - also near Oalie, looks a bit unfinished from the photos.

Figtree cottage - don't think we'll do this one unless you folks give it a glowing review - it's near the Montpelier Plantation, not the sea, but fits in our budget.

Our priority is: walking distance to a beach, either a pool or hot tub, privacy, lovely view. Studio is fine, as long as there is a kitchen.

Our budget is $2000. Since we are going in the off-season, I understand some of the owners will work with us since it's a two week rental ($1000 per week). We can top out at $2500 if necessary.

Thanks in advance Nevis-lovers! Any more ideas are very welcome as well!
Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
iw

I don't know a thing about villas, but we stayed at Oualie Beach and it is an awesome beach with a great restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Many locals hang out there. I think it would be a great location. Have fun!!
Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM

Hi Joan,

I'm sure that MIM and Sunnyboy will answer your questions.

Meanwhile, you might want to take a look at www.geocities.com/nevisbeachhouse which is a property directly on Oualie Beach. The owner is Michael Jones.

I recently went through a search in Nevis and wanted many of the same features you do...especially the walking part !

Good luck with your search and let us all know what you choose.

Marion

Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:25 AM

If you go to www.myislands.myeyez.net you will find a member named Viceroy who stayed at Yellow Bird Villa last year. He loved it! Feel free to post any questions.

Another villa that I have seen and love is Moonhill. www.villacaribbean.com

Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all so far!

jw, yes Oalie sounds like just the right mix of beauty and action. Did you snorkel at the beach there? We'd love to do some morning snorkel/walks.

Marion, I hadn't seen that house. I emailed the owner...would like to see interior pics to decide. Looks a little rustic and no interior pics makes me ...wonder. But what a location! Would not need pool or hot tub with a locale like that!

lizperiera, yes I've corresponded with Viceroy, what a helpful fellow. Moon Hill: absolutely gorgeous, rates are perfect, what is the downside???? How close to the beach is this place? Walkable? Any restaurants nearby?

Also, does it matter whether you're on leeward or windward side? All the villa pics I've seen show very calm waters no matter which side of the island they're on.

Off to work, back tonight to see the replies. Adrenaline rush here!
Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM

Downside to Moonhill? You can't stay there for ever. LOL

Moonhill is a short ride from the beach. Too far to walk.

Another website you might enjoy is www.islandimage.com Click on Travel Forum and feel free to become a member.

Lots of Nevis fans over there.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
iw

My husband snorkeled and said that it is ok. From what I've read, this island is not particularly known for its excellent snorkeling, although there are creatures to see. Someone else may have a better answer. The beach is not terribly long (not too short, either) and I did see people come from over the rocks on the left side to get to Oualie Beach.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM

Joan - I would be happy to help you find a villa. I am actually helping a few fodorites with villas right now. If you want I can email you...
Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes Mim villa help would be lovely! joanleak AT hotmail dot com. Thanks!

Lizpereira, I will take a look at that website. Thanks again.
Jul 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Hello again!
Update: I have almost decided...was waiting for response from Sunnyboy, but he must off the boards right now (probably with umbrella drink in hand!).

Yesterday I booked my air - from Tampa to Nevis or St. Kitts, it was running over $700 pp...until I played with dates, and if we go in October, it goes down to $437 pp, and only two flights, directly into Nevis airport. Yippee! By the way, I first found these rates on Travelocity, not listed anywhere else. When I went directly to AA.com and tried to book, it would only offer the combination of flights when I typed in multi-segment, and treated the trip as four one-ways. Weird! Bargain!

Regarding villas, I love the looks, location and price of Yellow Bird. I have corresponded with the owner and she's been prompt and helpful, and I've exchanged emails with Viceroy and Mim. Mim thinks we'll enjoy Yellow Bird. Meanwhile, I emailed the owner of the Beach House MarionCK suggested (there are 2 different villas on Nevis named Beach House BTW!), and the owner has availability but does not seem able to come up with any pictures, which seems weird since he's got his own website. MarionCK, is that where you're staying for your month visit?

Thanks again Fodorites! I am going to research the really important info now, like Restaurants and Beaches 8-). Let the fun begin!

Jul 26th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Hi Joan,

Thanks for the update !

Yes indeed, there are two Beach House villas on Nevis. I researched the one listed on nevis1.com which is close to Nisbet Plantation.

I was referred to the *other* Beach House by the owner of Coral Reef, Jane Paul. She spoke highly of the location.

Sunnyboy was absolutely right that everyone seems to know everyone on Nevis ! I even had a conversation with the former husband of my college roommate. Talk about time travel ! He is the owner of "T'aint Maine" and he too suggested being near Oualie Beach.

So...that's where I'll be in February at Tigh-Na-Mara. Thanks to the help of folks here I overcame my check-writing anxiety, and my check is now safely deposited in her bank account in Canada. It took two checks for me to get the date right ;-), and she was very patient !

If you feel "Yellowbird" is a good fit and MIM says yes, just go with that inner feeling

Let us know what you decide !

Marion
Jul 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Joan & Marion - glad you are both getting things underway for your upcoming adventures. I hope you both have a fabulous time!

Joan - yes as Marion mentioned there are a few properties called Beach House. It makes it kind of confusing! I think Yellowbird is the way to go. Feel free to email me if you need anything else.

Marion - I am sure you are looking forward to your trip. Time flies, so it will not be long before you are sitting on the beach reading a good book!
Jul 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Joan:

Be sure to write a Trip Report when you return.

A restaurant you might enjoy in Nevis is Miss June's www.missjunes.com and Coconut Grove Restaurant.