25th Anniversary

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

25th Anniversary

I'm trying to pick a "can't miss" vacation getaway for next May, and we're having a hard time deciding where to go. Our "list" includes Napili Kai Beach Resort on Maui, Sandals Royal Bahamian, Sandals Grande/Regency on St. Lucia or RUI Aruba Grand. We have enjoyed our 3 Sandals trips to Jamaica but want to try a different location. We're not big gamblers, or "party animals", we just want to enjoy the sun, beach, warm water and relax with a few drinks to keep us hydrated (ha ha). I've read a number of posts about how expensive drinks & food are at the different locations, which is why we like the "all inclusive" Sandals, that way we can eat/drink worry free. We both like snorkeling and I've done the scuba diving activity but that's not as important as being alone without hordes of people running around you all day & night. Also like the idea of the couples only resorts so we can talk to others without yelling above kids having fun.(I coach youth sports so I hear that the rest of the year) Any opinions of any of the resorts on our list please feel free to share, so we can start planning!!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM

Badger, While not knowing Napili Kai Resort in particular, I can say that the entire Napili Bay/beach area was family orieented the times we 've been there-- defintely NOT a couples-only type area. However, I've been there only in summertime, and expect it'd be quite different for you in May.
Have you posted this question (about Napili Kai's ambiance) on the US Forum also? There are lots of Maui experts there.

What about the Playa del Carmen area with its many AIs, some of them couples only??
Happy vacation planning!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM

My advice is to travel to US Virgin islands. Particularly St. John.

Check out this web site for lifestyle, culture and other info:
www.virginvoices.com

RE: Also like the idea of the couples only resorts...

I'd go to Caneel Bay Resort and book the Honeymoon Beach villas.
see: www.caneelbay.com

As a ten year long resident of St. John, you'll love it here!

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

For comparison purposes only, the "allure package for 2" at Caneel Bay costs more than $1000.00 more without airfare than the Sandals Royal Bahamian w/airfare included. A room at the Radisson in Aruba runs about $225.00 per night without food/drink included. The "allure package" runs about $800.00 per night although there are activities included with this package along with breakfast/dinner daily. Sorry if I sound cheap but, I don't think we can eat/drink enough to run up a $500.00 "tab" everyday.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

After reading lots of info on Hawaii, I need some more info concerning Aruba from past vacationers. We're looking at the Radisson resort and we want to compare the pros/cons of this highly rated resort in Aruba to the Sandals Royal Bahamian. Our main concerns are weather(mid May), nice beach & pool, reasonable food/drink prices, & comfortable rooms. A co-worker stayed at the RUI Aruba Grand but I believe that resort is remodeling(?) Too bad because she spoke VERY HIGHLY about her 2 trips there. Thanks for your help in trying to make this a GREAT 25th anniversary for us!!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM

A BVI alternative to Caneel is Peter Island. www.peterisland.com.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM

We stayed at The Sandals Regency in St Lucia and had a wonderful time except the beach was red-flagged being too rough so we had to shuttle to the other properties This was in April. I would definitely go back though.
But first choice, we loved the Sandals in Antigua and stayed there 2 times...July/early August, and again in December. No hustle and bustle; as quiet or as active as you choose to make it. We'd go there again in a heart beat. We have the same criteria as you for some of our vacations, and are considering Jamaica next.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM

SANDALS ROYAL BAHAMIAN IS AN AWSOME PLACE FOR SNORLKING..CRYSTLE CLEAR BLUE WATER AND A BEAUTIFUL RESORT TO BEAT...