Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Seeking romantic Caribbean vacation spot near aquatic sports center.

Nov 10th, 2005, 09:13 PM
HB2
Original Poster

I am planning on taking my wife for a much needed vacation in Feb. 06. We would be departing from Dallas/Fort Worth.

I would love to find her relatively secluded, charming, beachfront lodging within walking distance to spa facilities, light shopping and quaint restaurants.

Her needs come first but if I could have my way - we would be able to stay near some great windsurfing or catamaran sailing/rentals nearby...

I would hope to find some decent accomodations for $150 to $300 per night.

Thanks for providing some much needed local knowledge!
Nov 11th, 2005, 04:03 AM

Aruba sounds like it has everything that you are looking for.
Nov 11th, 2005, 06:41 AM
HB2
Original Poster

I am easy. Aruba it is!

Any suggestions on lodging?

Thanks!
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I think many islands could fit your criteria . I am not sure if Aruba is secluded , quaint or charming ?? Perhaps some areas are ? It is also one of the islands the greatest distance away . You could look into St.John , Antigua , Barbados , Tortola .....
Nov 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hmmm. You may find that Aruba suits your needs perfectly, but there aren't many parts of it there that qualify as secluded, charming or quaint.

Finding a place in your price range in February that's both beachfront and within walking distance of your other requirments may be a bit of a challenge. Negril, Jamaica, is one such area where you can walk to restaurants and a spa with charming beachfront rooms--take a look at www.idleawhile.com for one example in your price range.

If you would consider renting a car, or if you wouldn't mind staying in a resort that had those ameneties on site, that could open up more options for you.

It may be beyond your price range, but check out Gallows POint on St. John, where you're within walking distance of the town Cruz Bay and all that it affords.

Check out Siboney Beach CLub on Antigua. No spa on site, but it's on a gorgeous beach with a variety of beach bars and water sports available within walking distance.

Long Bay Beach Resort, Sebastian's or the Sugar Mill Hotel on Tortola. These are all within walking distance of each other along the north coast. Long Bay includes windsurfing in its rates, I believe, and it has a spa on site. It is also the most expensive of the three. There are 2-3 restaurants within walking distance of these hotels.
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM

I agree Aruba is not quaint, charming or secluded. I would suggest Antigua as it has a real Caribbean feel to it compared to Aruba which is very commercialized/Americanized.
Nov 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
HB2
Original Poster

Wow! This is all very good information. Lots to consider. I am very grateful for all the responses! Thank you!
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:09 AM

How's the windsurfing on those other islands? HB2 mentioned that as an interest.
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Check out Oualie Beach Resort on Nevis - meets most of your requirements, relativley secluded, charming, beachfront and a very good restaurant - and it has wind surfing on site as well. It also has spa facilities - although not the fanciest - for upscale you could drive or taxi to the Four Seasons. Some restaurants, but not shopping within walking distance.