Whistler - formal or no?

Jan 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Whistler - formal or no?

Sorry if this seems like a silly or frivolous question, but...

I'm heading to Whistler in a month, and I would like to know how people dress there when going out to bars/clubs and the high-end restaurants. My friends and I definitely want to go out at night, and we're also planning on going to Araxi and maybe one other nice restaurant.

I'm from New York, where stylish or classy dress is standard for fancier establishments. But I'm wondering if at a ski resort like Whistler, you can get away with nice jeans and shirts wherever you go.

Thanks very much.

Jan 9th, 2004, 11:58 AM

You will occasionally see people 'dressed up'.
However they will stick out in the crowd-BC is a casual kind of a place no need to 'put on the dog'.
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM

I've never been to Whistler, but I'll give you my take on Banff and Lake Louise, which are ski resorts too.

I think it very much depends on the establishments in which you'll be dining. While Banff and LL generally are very casual towns, I would not wear jeans for dinner in the handful of hotels and restaurants that are at the highest end of the spectrum, the Rimrock in Banff, for example.

This is what I would wear:

MOST pubs and restaurants: ordinary jeans, chinos, corduroys, hiking boots, runners, loafers, whatever

Fine dining restaurant: nice jeans, nice sweater, casual but slightly nicer shoes, e.g., loafers

Five star hotel: wool or suede skirt or pants, nice blouse or sweater, nice boots or leather pumps with low heels, perhaps accessory such as scarf,

My husband's outfits would be:

MOST pubs and restaurants: jeans

Fine dining restaurant: wool slacks, turtleneck sweater, loafers

Five star hotel: wool slacks, collared shirt, sports coat or blazer, lace up shoes

We have only once dressed formally in Banff, and that was the time we attended a New Year's Dinner / Dance in a nice hotel.

If *I* was heading to Whistler, and if I thought I would be having dinner in a five star hotel, I would pack something a LITTLE dressier than jeans, just in case I felt the need for it once I got there.

It's true that my experience of the rest of British Columbia is that it's a very casual place, as Sam_Salmon says, but at the same time I'd rather not risk feeling embarrassed in a five star hotel.

There are other components that contribute to a person's overall look, though, such as jewellery and make up. If you put a woman from New York or Houston next to a woman from Vancouver or Calgary, I think the NYC or Houston woman is going to be more likely to be wearing nail polish, gold jewellery, and a designer purse. They may look visibly different from each other even if they're both wearing jeans. It could be that the NYC woman, no matter how hard she tries, is not going to be able to dress down enough to blend into the Whistler woodwork.

I'd say make a reasonable try at hitting the right wardrobe note but, beyond that, don't worry about it.
Jan 10th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Hi Matty,
Whistler is most definitely informal. You can wear whatever you like in any of the restaurants.Jeans or cords(warmer) are standard, and a shirt, and/or sweater is fine. Cheers, Al
Jan 10th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the responses!
Jan 10th, 2004, 08:28 PM

I certainly agree with WhistlerAL. I grew up in Montreal, considered a very stylish city, I have lived in Vancouver and I go up to Whistler often. I have never worn "pumps" to a restaurant in Whistler.
Matty, you will be in Whistler during ski season, therefore nice warm pants, ski sweaters, a jacket and after ski boots will be appropriate in any of the more expensive restaurants and jeans everywhere else, presuming you want to fit in. Also, sport coats are not necessary for men. They don't call it supernatural British Columbia for nothing.
Hope this helps.
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:58 PM
wow

Whistler and "formal" do not belong in the same sentence!! You're going to a ski resort, Mattydale! Wear whatever you want. Leave the "pumps", the wool skirt & nice blouse for Tootsie!
Jan 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Mattydale, dahling, I forgot to mention the rhinestone glasses and the blue rinse wig.

See you later, possum.

Ta ta for now.

Dame Edna
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:32 AM

mattydale, my friends and I will be in Whistler and going to Araxi for valentines day. If you go before that let me know how it was!
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Wendy, just saw your message (re-checking my own thread). We'll be there on the 16th... so if you get back before then, you can give us your report.

Feb 18th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Hi Wendy and Mattydale,
I hope you had a great trip to Whistler. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Araxi's dinner, and Whistler in general. Cheers, AL
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM

We had a ball! This is our second year staying at the Woods in upper Blackcomb. It's a great location, the bus is right outside but the back is all woods and golf course.

Our dinner at Arexi was good but I don't think we'll go again. I had made reservations in January and when we showed up, party of 6 on Valentines Sat. night, they said they didn't have us down. But after a stern conversation with the hostess we were seated within 10 mins, by the bussing station.

Service was excellent! The oysters were excellent! My food was great but the portions were a bit small for the men.

The expense really comes from the wine list, ouch!

I'm glad we tried it but will probably try other places in the future.

Had tons of snow on Monday which made for a great day of skiing even if the wind was blowing on top. Love whistler!!!